Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: An interesting kettle screen shot...  (Read 8614 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
An interesting kettle screen shot...
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »
This is interesting. Anyone see the movie "My Girl" from 1991? There is a scene at exactly the 54 minute mark. It's suppose to be the Fourth of July of 1972. Dan Ackroyd is grilling hamburgers on a red 22 Weber kettle. The kettle has wood handles on the bowl. Wood handle bowls weren't available in 1972. What is interesting is that they paid such great attention to "period correct" details throughout the movie, yet they overlooked this detail. Check it out on the link below at 54 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfY2agcBDJI

This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Beef

• Smokey Joe
Re: An interesting kettle screen shot...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »
Good Eye!   I am still picking up on those nuances.
Numerous pre 79 kettles
Weber Seville Cart
One rare 1960's hooded rotissery grill, Like your dad had

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
Definitely good catch! That's more than likely a 1989-90 red One Touch kettle but we cant see the bottom. Even the cooking grate is 1990 period correct with the bent inward grate handles. I suppose at the time the film was made when red Weber's were still being made and could be had easily brand new the mentality of a filmmaker doing period pieces would be that "well, red bbq [weber] grills were around in 1972, they still look basically the same today, so lets just send the prop dept down the street to the hardware store and buy a red bbq grill." or "Hey get the red bbq grill that they've been using as a prop in most films"  I saw a movie myself recently that took place in 1956, movie was made in the early 2000's, and a red WBH Weber kettle could be seen on the patio in the background but with no ash catcher (looked like someone did SOME homework but not all). We are the few that know that not only did WBH kettles not exist in 1956, red kettles were not around just yet then either. But, 99% of people don't know nor pay attention to that detail so its easy to get away with. That 70s show, Red Foreman grilling on a WBH redhead. A common theme in these movies and TV shows no matter what the time period or the color of the kettle is that the lid is NOWHERE in site. Or if there is a lid there's no ash catcher.  Can't violate copyright or trademarks if the whole kettle shape/profile isn't there. So maybe that explains the 1956 period piece with a whole kettle minus the ash catcher. The one movie I have seen a red MBH 22 is in the 1995 Brady Bunch movie that takes place in 1995. It belonged to the neighbor Mr. Dittmeyer who ironically was known on the original show in the 70s by Mike and Carol Brady as the neighbor who was "always having those barbecues"  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:50:47 PM by Craig »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »
I found it! Here's the scene from The Brady Bunch Movie. Mr. Dittmeyer's kettle. It is a red MBH 22. I forgot that unlike kettles in most movies, this one IS actually fully assembled with the lid and twist ash catcher. Early 70s thin whitewall plastic wheels too. So this would have been only a 20 year old kettle at the time of the movie.  :) 

http://youtu.be/N_HE8beijHA
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:01:53 PM by Craig »

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
Check out the beer cans. When they lift them up to take a drink you can clearly see from the bottom that they are the old fashioned steel cans. This is that great detail I was talking about. Also, notice how high the grill is sitting up alongside Dan Ackroyd. It comes up to his stomach. Obviously, they were going to great lengths to squeeze the characters and the grill all into the same shot.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »
that's really interesting, good eye.

I guess when they made that movie NO ONE knew all the details on kettle aging.
Heck, no one knew any of it just a couple years ago until we put all of it together!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:09:35 AM »
Somewhat related.....what appears to be a red OTG shows up near the end of I Now Pronounce You chuck and Larry.  The grill is knocked over when one of the main characters is shooting hoops and has an encounter with Clint Fitzer prompting him to throw the ball.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:44:57 AM »
I've seen Chuck and Larry but I missed the kettle. I'll have to give it another look..

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »
In the series "Breaking Bad", Walt aka "Heisenberg" has a black kettle in his backyard.  It is in several episodes. :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
In the series "Breaking Bad", Walt aka "Heisenberg" has a black kettle in his backyard.  It is in several episodes. :)

Harris.....don't have a fancy screen shot, just a vivid description........... 8)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/yet-another-episode-of/msg44742/#msg44742
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »
Yes, thanks for sharing!  I do remember that episode but forgot all your in depth detail.  A terrific series.... :)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:25:44 AM »
As a public service... ;D

Breaking Bad

My Girl

Brady Bunch

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »
Is the My Girl kettle painted red?  It looks like the paint is darkening on the side.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »
I bet the My Girl grill is painted red. Good eye! Does anyone know what kind of spatula Akroyd is using? I love the Brady Bunch pic. Thanks for getting these screenies Marty.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 02:48:17 AM »
As a public service... ;D

Breaking Bad

Notice there is less money in the grill once its on fire.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)