Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled Pork for 25  (Read 5481 times)

G

• WKC Ranger
Pulled Pork for 25
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:52:54 PM »
I planned a lunch gathering at work and volunteered to smoke some butts for pulled pork sammies this week Friday.  Originally I was planning on about 15 but the attendee list swelled to over 25.  As the day draws closer, Im strating to get a little nervous since this is the main course of the BBQ themed event.  A few questions:
1) How many pounds of butts should I smoke?  I was planning on two twin packs from Costco (~30 pounds of pork).  Do I need more?  There will be several other sides.
2) I'll be using an 18"WSM.  Ive cooked two butts before but not four.  Will this increase the cooking times?
3) Vittles will be served at high noon.  I was planning to start the smoke on Thursday evening, cook overnight, pull and wrap the butts for storage in a cooler before work, then pull the meat around 11:30.  Do you see any flaws in this approach?

Thanks in advance.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Pulled Pork for 25
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:13 PM »
Troy is your man. He smokes multuple butts all the time!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
I would just start them way earlier than you need to and go all out and do six. Just in case you run low, or people can take some home. That's a great way to score points. I would rather they were done two to four hours early than almost right on time. You want them loose. Wrap them up in a cooler for a long rest until you are ready to serve. Just pull out one at a time and start pulling and serving. Butt's are a very forgiving cut of meat.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
i think two of the twin packs from costco will be plenty, especially since there will be other sides.
For my most recent work potluck, i did a single twin pack and it fed more than 25 - but most everyone also brought a dish to pass.
There were only 2 'main course' dishes. (and no bread or buns)

plan your cook so the butts will be done in the morning before you leave.
I usually schedule mine so they'll be done at 6am(ish).
If I wake up at 6 and they're still in the stall, i'll foil them and raise the temp to 325.
If they're done, i'll foil them and put them in the cooler. Pull them when it's lunch time - they'll still be finger burning hot.

Technically 4 butts shouldn't take any longer than 1, but it really depends on the pit.
If you cook 4 in the same time it would take to cook 1, you'll be using more fuel to maintain the pit temps.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 02:51:47 AM »
Thanks for the insight...Im feeling better and think Im on track.

Troy - when you say
I usually schedule mine so they'll be done at 6am(ish).
what time do you put the butts in the pit?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »
for the bigger butts, like costco and sams sell, i'd put them on around 5pm the previous afternoon.

if you can't put them on that early, put them on later and use a higher temp.

figure 1.5 to 2 hours per pound in the 225 degree range
and 1 to 1.5 hours per pound in the 250-275 range

these numbers really depend on the smoker too. i use a 22 cajun bandit

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
Awesome....thanks for the tips.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 05:29:19 AM »
They will take a bit longer all in one cooker, as you're adding 2-4x the cold meat mass that needs to recoup up to cooking heat....
You'll be fine though, if you're doing like folks said & start earlier & finish earlier & then hold....
A common scenario for me is start 9PM, run 260°, 10~10-1/2#butts,done from 9 am to 11 am,
then foil & hold
(which would cut it close for you)
So just rotate the time frame back...I just try to allow for a 15~17 hr deal, incl. some hold time

I don't have WSM's, but have been around them & read a lot....
Mine are all on kettles, set like this ~~>

8 oz. per person would be a medium amount (1 lb. raw, approx. 50% cook-down) so 25lbs.  or more to start, you're way good with big 2x twins...

Hope this helps, really just confirming others...
Have a grate cook!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
did you do it yet? how did it turn out?

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 03:28:55 AM »
The BBQ themed event and the pulled pork was a hit.  I started 4 ~8 pound buts at 6:30 on Thursday and pulled them at 6:00 on Friday morning.  I am amazed at the constant temps the WSM prvides (230 or so for over 12 hours with 13 pounds of K blue).  Once removed, the butts were wrapped and held in a cooler until 11:00 when pulled...still finger burning hotand fall off the bone tender.  I split the PP into two crock pots; one with a vinegar based Carolina sauce and one plain.  The sauced PP was empty while approximately 4 pounds of plain was leftover.  I was just gathering the ingredients to make more Carolina sauce for todays leftovers....another day of PP sammies.  I hope to do this again next year.

To those who responded, thanks again for the insight.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
Glad it went well, sounds like REALLY WELL !!   :)

The holding period has helped the ones I do come out a lot better, allowed to rest like that, it helps to like you said "fall off the bone !"
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
Congratulations on a successful cook G!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »
Yes, a definate hit.  I put the carolina sauced leftovers in a crock pot on low this morning and as the smell of pork permeated through the office, multiple people took an early lunch.  All was gone before noon.