Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question for kettle roti owners  (Read 3123 times)

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Question for kettle roti owners
« on: December 25, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »
It's been a very good Christmas.

I have a couple of questions for roti owners:

1.  The kit came with a couple of black screws - what are they for? Wish Weber had done a better job with the manual.  Took some Interwebs research to learn that the roller thingy was a counter balance, but was unable to find out what the screws are for.

2.  Where do you store your roti? All my grills are covered but I don't think the cover will work with the roti on the grill.  Right now it's in the garage.

gunner

• WKC Brave
Re: Question for kettle roti owners
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
Nice score! I love my roti...I am using it today matter of fact! I think the two screws are to hold the prongs in place? You slide them where you want then tighten them down so they don't move..I didn't know what the counter balance was for either for the first couple times I used it! I had to look it up...for chickens always remember the back of the chicken is the heavier part so you have the counter balance facing the opposite way. The roti makes the best chickens you will ever eat! Oh and for storing it I always hang it on my wall in the garage with the chord all wrapped up...

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
Nice score! I love my roti...I am using it today matter of fact! I think the two screws are to hold the prongs in place? You slide them where you want then tighten them down so they don't move..I didn't know what the counter balance was for either for the first couple times I used it! I had to look it up...for chickens always remember the back of the chicken is the heavier part so you have the counter balance facing the opposite way. The roti makes the best chickens you will ever eat! Oh and for storing it I always hang it on my wall in the garage with the chord all wrapped up...

Thanks Gunner, and for the quick response.  The prongs has silver thumb screws so I don't think the black ones for it the prongs.  Also, thanks for the advice on the counter balance.  I can't wait to use this thing - maybe this weekend.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »
Hmmm I wonder what those two screws are for?? I will look at mine and see if I can figure it out...!

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
hello, I have one and if you can find worthwhile following the manual page which explains how to mount the counterweight. Nowhere in the manual I found a section where they talk about the two black screws .. I'm sorry
BBQ are never enough

greeny03

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
I believe the screws go either side of the rim/roti ring, with the smooth side facing what would be the inside of the kettle. The nut sits inside the ring. I think it is just to help it grip so it doesn't rock or slip. Pretty ordinary in the way of instructions really!!

Gary

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 04:55:04 AM »
Another hint - there should be a disk with a sort of keyhole in the middle. That slips over the spit rod and into a groove in the spit rod right by the handle. It keeps the handle from sliding up the spit rod when you tighten the counterbalance weight.
kettles, smokers...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 05:36:57 AM »
I keep the ring in the garage. The spits are stored in the house.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
I'm a little late to this thread, but my guess is the two black bolts are to be used IF you wanted bolt the ring to the kettle, as they fit in the two holes drilled into the roti ring. Of course, that means you'd need to drill through your kettle, which Weber won't sanction, but they seem to think it is a good idea. I can't see any other use for them (or the two holes in the ring) on the new style ring which fits quite tightly in the kettle bowl. I ended up drilling two holes in my roti and using those to bolts and those holding the motor mount to create a rest for a second grate. With a little foil over the U-shaped cutout and roti hole, the ring provides extra space which I find perfect for ABT's when I have ribs or a pork shoulder on the main level.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:47:21 PM by OGlenn »
Uncommon sense seeker