Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grill Grates  (Read 2568 times)

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
Grill Grates
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
I just saw a video review of them.  Here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dg-PXK5UA80

I love the sear lines, but I'm definitely not digging the grey color of the rest of the meat.  I think that has to do with the grill grate blocking the heat.  I like grill marks, but to sacrifice the crust of a fine grilled steak is just not my cup of tea.  I wonder if what the video shows is the norm, or possibly user error?  Are they the real deal or should I be skeptical?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Grill Grates
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »
Whoa, deja vu ;)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:12:37 PM »
i'm a bit of a skeptic.

I've learned that marks aren't everything.
I've also grown to really dislike BLACK marks. I want a nice dark golden brown - not black

i'm weird :)

Vermin99

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:29:48 PM »
Grill marks are overrated. I would rather have a crust on the whole surface of my steaks, which is achieved my salting.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »
when it comes to steaks, i MUST have that flavor that comes from beef fat dripping down into the coals and turning into beefsmoke.

it's the reason i don't reverse sear (unless i have some frozen beef fat that I can use to create the smoke)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
I think the best of both worlds is created by using cast iron grates. Unless its chicken or some really fatty meat, the drippings aren't going to flare too much and burn your meat.
Of course were talking about direct cooking of steak and such. I think the grill grates are kinda gimmicky..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
Grill marks are overrated. I would rather have a crust on the whole surface of my steaks, which is achieved my salting.

I agree, the think I like about the grill marks is the black crust on any meat. "Oooh that's the flavor" (Goodfellas again). I like how my ci grates get really hot and blacken my food. Not burnt and dried out, but crusty.