Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe Gold  (Read 2589 times)

225tostayalive

• Smokey Joe
Smokey Joe Gold
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
Hello    I just picked up a black Smokey Joe Gold (side vents) from Kijiji here in Montreal  like new 15 bucks

I know this grill has been used to make the mini WSM's but I do not want to do that

it will be used strictly for smaller cooks 1-2 people, searing, indirect,  smoking smaller batches of almonds  etc

Has anyone got any tips or tricks for this grill?   I am really interested in high heat cooks with lid on but know venting can be an issue

thanks !
Weber OTG Blue, Weber OTG Black, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Gold, Smokey Joe Silver, CharGriller Akorn, PizzaQue Pizza cooker

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smokey Joe Gold
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »
There seems to be mixed reviews on the SJG.  Some people don't like the way they cook, and others don't mind at all.   You should probably just do a few cooks with some easier items (sausage or chicken breasts) to find out how it does for you.  You may want to also make some notes about what charcoal you used (lump or briquettes).

I had good luck with my SJP (large version of SJG) by using a few extra briquettes and really letting them get roaring before dumping them into the kettle to keep the heat up.

Hope this helps...
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

225tostayalive

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »
Thanks !   have done a couple of cooks on it so far

seems to be ok     but definitely cools off quick once lid is on

found some info online about running a piece of tin foil from one vent under the charcoal grate and closing other vent to increase airflow

it will be fun to experiment

too bad it is going to be -25 celcius here tonight....

Weber OTG Blue, Weber OTG Black, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Gold, Smokey Joe Silver, CharGriller Akorn, PizzaQue Pizza cooker

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 06:05:15 AM »
I use mine when I go camping with the family. I usually dump in a full chimney to keep it hot enough to do corn on the cob, steaks, burgers, etc...This summer I was camping at the beach, so the wind blowing around dinner time really kept the little bastard hot. At night time, I would throw some logs on the coals and have a mini fire pit going all night. When I was done, I put the cover on to smother the fire. I have to definitely invest in one of those carry bags and a Jumbo Joe eventually.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

225tostayalive

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
you will not regret buying a Jumbo Joe

awesome portable grill...pick up a hinged cooking grate and makes a fantastic smoker for indirect cooks

the best was the look on my fellow campers faces when I slapped a 10 lbs pork butt on it this past summer and proceeded to cook some of the best BBQ any of them had ever had on a comparatively small grill

and many had never eaten anything cooked over charcoal

can't say enough good things about the Jumbo Joe   i just love the little guy

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »
I use mine when I go camping with the family. I usually dump in a full chimney to keep it hot enough to do corn on the cob, steaks, burgers, etc...This summer I was camping at the beach, so the wind blowing around dinner time really kept the little bastard hot. At night time, I would throw some logs on the coals and have a mini fire pit going all night. When I was done, I put the cover on to smother the fire. I have to definitely invest in one of those carry bags and a Jumbo Joe eventually.
The SJ cover is very nice.  Makes it easy to carry the SJ.  Might have to try the log thing and make it a mini fire pit.  Sounds like a great idea.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)