Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: High heat brisket on kettle  (Read 5404 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
High heat brisket on kettle
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »
I have a 14 lb brisket that I plan on serving tomorrow afternoon. I'm already pulling an all nighter with two butts in the WSM, so I'd rather do a high heat on the performer in the morning. Anyone have any experience with high heat briskest on their kettle... and some advice :)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: High heat brisket on kettle
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:50:19 AM »
Well, I did this last weekend and I have some advice for myself for the next time...
1)
14lb is pretty big, and no matter how well I insulated the sides of the brisket, they still over cooked. On the other hand, the over cooked sides were very good the next day. So. Don't go bigger than 10lbs if using the kettle, or be prepared for burnt ends/sides.
2)
Rather than piling coals on both sides, just do one side and turn the brisket around every hour on the hour. Works especially well for the bigger briskets.
3)
Cut the point off just before foiling and place into another kettle for burnt ends... But don't cover! They get a better crisp to them without covering.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:08:48 AM »
Saw this before, but it's been along time since I've done one & don't remember particulars.
I DO remember the wife absolutely HAD to go shopping somewhere & the temp varied all over the place & the piece suffered because of it........
Now her youngest son (the prodigal ) one is coming to town with 7 or 8 of his buddies & she wants brisket as part of the fare....We got a 13-1/2# really limp one last nite.
Doing two shoulders also, so this info is rather timely....
Thanks for the input, even if you thought you only had this thread to yourself !!!

I may try a fuse setup, like for butts, as that seems to work pretty well.
See here for what I'm refering to ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-beef-recipes/something-different/

On your next go-round, you could try that & stack up the fuel a bit thicker & open the vents up & it will go up to maybe 325°....

from #3) :
" and place into another kettle for burnt ends... "

Only folks like us can say stuff like that & not wonder if the person actually HAS another kettle available !!!

Thought of one possible solution for the  outside edges....
Last half of the cook, maybe put in a pan, with a baking rack to keep it up out of the juice....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »

Thanks for the input, even if you thought you only had this thread to yourself !!!
  Yah, I thought this was a private thread  ;)

I may try a fuse setup, like for butts, as that seems to work pretty well.
See here for what I'm refering to ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-beef-recipes/something-different/

On your next go-round, you could try that & stack up the fuel a bit thicker & open the vents up & it will go up to maybe 325°....

I think it may depend on the length of the brisket too. Mine nearly reached both ends, so the fuse method wouldn't have worked as well for that particular brisket. I have a 10lb'er waiting in the freezer that I'll try that with.

from #3) :
" and place into another kettle for burnt ends... "

Only folks like us can say stuff like that & not wonder if the person actually HAS another kettle available !!!

I'm a light weight, I only have three kettles, down from the five I had earlier in the year.

Thought of one possible solution for the  outside edges....
Last half of the cook, maybe put in a pan, with a baking rack to keep it up out of the juice....