Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle owners thread & showoff  (Read 35735 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ranch Kettle owners thread & showoff
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »
Just brought this big guy home after a long day trip with my father.  It wasn't an absolute steal on price, but fair for around my area.  Was in pretty excellent shape other than some scratches and minor surface rust to the frame in those few spots.  The ash bowl also had a couple chips on the bottom with one having surface rust.  A front wheel was also broken.  All things were minor/cosmetic and it is relatively new shape.  The seller said he used it half a dozen times and it shows.  I think most of the wear/tear on it was just him having it in his shop or leaving it outside occasionally.

Anyone know of some good aftermarket casters?

Any good advice on touch up paint for the frame (brand/color/type)? Should I just use some extra fine steel whole to get the areas clear of rust and then touch up?  I know the high heat paint is best for the kettle if needed, but the actual kettle is solid as can be.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2019, 08:53:37 PM »

Just brought this big guy home after a long day trip with my father.  It wasn't an absolute steal on price, but fair for around my area.  Was in pretty excellent shape other than some scratches and minor surface rust to the frame in those few spots.  The ash bowl also had a couple chips on the bottom with one having surface rust.  A front wheel was also broken.  All things were minor/cosmetic and it is relatively new shape.  The seller said he used it half a dozen times and it shows.  I think most of the wear/tear on it was just him having it in his shop or leaving it outside occasionally.

Anyone know of some good aftermarket casters?

Any good advice on touch up paint for the frame (brand/color/type)? Should I just use some extra fine steel whole to get the areas clear of rust and then touch up?  I know the high heat paint is best for the kettle if needed, but the actual kettle is solid as can be.

As for front casters, I bought mine at OSH before they went out of business.. really any hardware store should have them. Just plain stemmed office chair casters. I took the whole frame to a local powder coated and had the whole thing done. Will probably do it with my second one too.  Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2019, 10:37:21 PM »
I'd just hit the frame with Rustoleym high heat ultra.  It has a slight gloss sheen that matches pretty well.  It's what I use to touch up Weber gasser frames

Radjx003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2019, 01:30:59 AM »
I have a big white whale.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2019, 03:18:16 AM »

Has that been repainted? I don't think I have ever seen/heard of a white one. If the white is original you have something kind of unique.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Radjx003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2019, 04:24:36 AM »
It is one of 2 original, done by weber for a winery here in australia.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »
Dang that is pretty cool. Hopefully the lettering comes off easy unless it is kinda cool for you having the winery name.

Radjx003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »
The one i got was fading a little bit so i hit it with a razor scraper and it came of.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
You should get it cleaned up and post more pictures! Would be a cool addition to gallery.

If you weren't in Australia I would be like, is the other one for sale??? Haha
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:12:02 AM by ReanimatedRobot »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »

I would love that sitting next to my Red Ranch
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Radjx003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
Here is some pics durin clean up and having the frame and all the bits resprayed with kenworth chassis paint. And i have never re assembled since as ive been meaning to get some new stainless bolts but notnon my priority list.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2019, 09:42:37 AM »
Nice.  I am taking my frame to the father in law this weekend to make some welding improvements to mine.  We are going to weld on caps on the tops of the framing and maybe add on some support for bigger tires and axle.  After that I plan on test fitting everything and sending it off to be sand blasted and powder coated. 

Going to stay original black with the frame or go with something different?  Red or white seem like they would be pretty cool. 

Radjx003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »
Sounds good. A different colour would make it look cool for sure. I just went with the original black  again as its a white grill so its broken up.

hdfry

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2019, 05:16:52 AM »
To bbqmiller: Nice work. Well done!

To all: I'm a new Rancher and just loving the way this allows a person to do creative grilling, both direct and offset. It's so far superior to the small kettles I can't describe it.  My first problem was getting a charcoal basket (or two) to allow for indirect cooking while maximizing my charcoal use. The ones I've found on-line were, I thought, prohibitively expensive especially after dropping $1,400 on the Rancher. So, found this gent's website on YouTube and recommend it highly. If the link doesn't make it onto the website just search for Ry's weld free charcoal basket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4mxUUE9OjI

It's his own creation that he calls a "no weld charcoal basket". My cost for a  sheet of expanded metal was about $17.00 and that was my only cost. I've made a large one (why I'm not sure) and two smaller ones for indirect cooks. I've only used the large basket so far and it's a dream. Just shake it out after it has cooled and you've got a ready supply of broken in briquettes to reuse. I love his idea. I'll try to include a photograph.

My question to the group is this: how do you clean the ashes out of your kettle? The stainless cooking grill is heavy enough that it's a little tricky to move about. Then you've got the charcoal grill underneath as well. They're not the most user friendly equipment to move around. Still, once you have removed those two grill layers you've got this round bottomed kettle where your ashes reside. What's a good method to collect and dispose of those ashes please? Clearly the three air vents are not intended to be used for ash removal. I'm sure there's a great system out there, I'd just appreciate hearing about it.

Loving my Rancher.  HD

hdfry

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2019, 05:53:59 AM »
Sorry, I haven't yet figured out a way to attach photographs to a "reply" post. Also, can't seem to find a way to create a post on a new topic. Any of you old timers have advice? Thanks! HD