Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What are you setting up for thanksgiving?  (Read 6937 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: What are you setting up for thanksgiving?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
Great looking cooks all!

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
What are you setting up for thanksgiving?
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 10:27:31 PM »
First time ever brining turkey and grilling it in a Weber kettle.  You guys and this awesome site inspired me and gave me the confidence to take on this new adventure.  I used the Weber apple brined turkey with big time gravy recipe. The turkey was incredibly juicy, flavorful and delicious. It is the best turkey I've ever eaten.

Here are some pictures...

Into the apple juice brine the bird goes.

18hrs in the brine and now ready to be grilled.

Onto the OTG it goes.

After 1hr of cooking.  I was a bit nervous to see such a dark color after only an hour of cooking. The skin started to tear and I was afraid of my bird falling apart because it was being cooked in all the chicken stock.  It browned up quicker because I had trouble keeping the temp below 320 at the beginning of the cook.

After 2hrs of cooking.

After 3hrs cooking. I decided to put the bird directly on the grate to crispy up the underside and skin.

Pulled after 3.5hrs and is resting.

Sorry, no plated pictures cus I was too hungry. Beautiful smoke ring and very juicy. Packers may have lost, but I won today.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:23:07 AM by crumbsnatcher »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »
Whenever my skin gets browned up I foil it then it won't brown anymore but it will keep cooking just fine, works for the infamous beer can chicken too...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »
Wow nice cooks everyone! We are at my mother-in-laws with no grill :( so we had to do our turkey and everything in the oven. Everything turned out great though. I am jealous to see all those grills in action...nice work everyone! Brian it's good to see that new to you brown setup and in action!

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
Cooked myself and the girlfriend a nice turkey yesterday.  Did a 12 pounder on the WSM with Apple wood.  Turned out real nice.

Firstly, I injected with my standard poultry butter injection I like.

Injection:
4 sticks of butter
1 bottle garlic juice
1 bottle onion juice
3 bottles of juice from Trappey's Hot Peppers
5 tbsp of Worchester Sauce
1 Cup Chicken Bouillon
3/4 cup Spices (Tony Chachere's, Cayenne, Garlic Salt, Black pepper)

I let that sit over night and then in the morning rubbed it down with Peanut Oil and a poultry/pork rub that I like a lot...

Rub
3 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Granulated Onion Powder
2 tbsp Coarse Black Pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper

Then I fired up a chimney of charcoal and put it in the WSM.  Laid down another chimney full of unlit Royal Oak Lump on top of that with 4 or 5 Apple Wood chunks put in later.

After about 2 hours and the bird started getting some good color, I put it in a foil pan and smothered it in a pound of butter.  On top, the sides, everywhere.  Then wrapped completely in a foil wrap.  I first saw this method done by Aaron Franklin in the video below.  Sorry, I didn't get any pictures of this step.  Had my hands full!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4V_ef8P8A

After about an hour in the foil pan wrap, I took it out and carved it up after letting it set for about 20 minutes.  Lots of great dark theigh pieces for me and nice slices of breast for the GF.  The injection added the spice flavor I like in my turkey.  The butter in the foil wrap ensured that this turkey was not even close to being considered dry.  This was my first smoked turkey and I couldn't have been happier!   ;D

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
This is what I came home to after work yesterday!!!!

The girlfriend wanted turkey day dinner at a decent time and wanted the bird on the grill. Well plans get screwed regularly because of my work, needless to say I wasn't going to be able to get to the bird till about 3 in the afternoon and I was still going to be on call at that time. So she asks me if she could do it I say hell yeah. So night before I give her some pointers and get the 26er set up for her. The first pic is of the bird after pulling it out of  a roasting pan with veggies and broth. Then let it crisp up the underside skin. Last pic is plated. Sorry not more pics I took these two with my phone. She has more with her camera.

Bird came out awesome!!! I am so proud of her!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
Great job by your gf mikey ! I cant get mine to even lift the lid to check on things hardly :-

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
Great looking cooks all!

No kiddin' !!!!

All looks really grand !!!

The brines, the rubs, the cookups, the kettles.....good stuff folks !!!!!

I took a couple of those "discontinued" Black kettles over to Ma's house & did a rib roast, two types of stuffed pork loin, asparagus & the wife fixed up 'personal turkeys' (Cornish hens) & other sides in the house....

These pork loins rollups were particularly hyper.....unfurled, tenderized with a sharp fork, soaked in creole garlic for some hours, re-soaked, layer of panko crumbs, layer of blueberry yogurt, big layer of the wife's cranberry stuffing, rolled in bacon weave & the tied one was glazed with pomegranite glaze 5-6 times.......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
Nice buckle.

What's the story on the '57 Ranchero in the back? I sold my '79 a couple years back.

Dude, relax your chicken.

Brickout

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »
This year was the first time I cooked a turkey on the grill. In fact it's the first time I have done it something different than deep fry! But since I caught the BBQ bug this Summer I knew I had to cook it on the SS performer.

I did my research and decided to follow the process at amazingribs.com; Ultimate Smoked Turkey You can read all the details yourself, but I have to say this is the best turkey I have ever had. This will be my new tradition from now on.

Here are some pic's

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
Interesting grate position, looks like it is upside down, with the flippers acting as a charcoal stop. Did you have to cut off the handles to get it to fit? Nice looking bird BTW!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »
Brought the WSM over to a friends house.

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Brickout

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »
Interesting grate position, looks like it is upside down, with the flippers acting as a charcoal stop. Did you have to cut off the handles to get it to fit? Nice looking bird BTW!

Pretty cool idea, no?! I saw a post about this a while back and thought I'd give it a try. It worked out well and kept the charcoal from getting into the grave pan. It also makes it easy to add more charcoal. No mods to the grate are required to make this work.

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
That is a cool idea.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
That stuff looks awesome.  I'm intrigued by that roasting pan....everything else looks great too...

Thanks Brian! The pan helps to shield the breast and with this method it sits directly down in the vegetables and the liquid. I added some chicken stock to the veggies before placing the bird in the pan. With it being breast down for the first hour, it helps to evenly brown the turkey and continues to keep the breast moist in the liquid. I brined the turkey before hand in an apple sage brine. This was my first "Thanksgiving" turkey so I was trying not to think about it but it turned out and was a huge hit.