Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Apple brined turkey  (Read 7310 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Apple brined turkey
« on: November 26, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »
Picked up a fresh turkey from the local butcher. He gets them from PA - http://www.jaindl.com/.
I used the apple brine on the TVWB site - http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html.

These aren't cheap, but worth the expense. They don't look like the ones you typically see in the grocery store.

Bird ready for an overnight soak.

I already like having the old fridge in the basement. Plenty of room for the bird and adult beverages.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Re: Apple brined turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
Awesome. I have a 20lb bird brining right now as well. I can't wait to see how it turns out

What are you cooking it on?  I'm planning to put mine on my 22.5" WSM with apple wood and maybe a chunk of hickory
-Keith

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »

Awesome. I have a 20lb bird brining right now as well. I can't wait to see how it turns out

What are you cooking it on?  I'm planning to put mine on my 22.5" WSM with apple wood and maybe a chunk of hickory
I am going to use a 22.5 WSM too. I will use apple and pecan for the smoke wood

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:40:29 AM »
Tell us about the beer in your fridge.  None of those look familiar to me.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:57:11 AM »
I really like that apple brine on the TVWB site. Used a few times with excellent results.

Look forward to see this come off the cooker.

I will be envious of all the smoked bird pics Thursday, as, Thanksgiving up here was so long ago.  :-\ :-\ ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:47 AM »
I'm another with a turkey getting happy in the apple brine (ish) and hitting the 22" WSM tomorrow.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Apple brined turkey
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »
Tell us about the beer in your fridge.  None of those look familiar to me.

Funny you should ask - it is an interesting mix. I always like trying out some US seasonal microbrews and beers from around the world. There is a liquor store close to me that has an awesome selection. They have stuff I have never seen.
US seasonal microbrews

Breckenridge Christmas Ale
Great Divide Hibernation Ale
Weyerbacher winter Ale
Ft Collins Big Shot Ale
Great Lakes Brewing Nosferatu - this one is real good
Brooklyn black chocolate Stout

These are some interesting ones from abroad. Will be interesting to see how they taste.
Three from Belgium

One from Switzerland

One from Norway
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:20:09 PM by Bbqmiller »

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »
I WSMed two last year, but I'm going back to the kettle tomorrow.  I had a hard time keeping the temps high enough last year, and then I heard that the WSM recipe was adapted from an old Weber kettle cookbook recipe, so I'm using the kettle in protest. 
One of the charcoal people.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »

I'm another with a turkey getting happy in the apple brine (ish) and hitting the 22" WSM tomorrow.
Should compare to see how they turn out.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »

I WSMed two last year, but I'm going back to the kettle tomorrow.  I had a hard time keeping the temps high enough last year, and then I heard that the WSM recipe was adapted from an old Weber kettle cookbook recipe, so I'm using the kettle in protest.
I used the Frontier lump last year with no water in the pan. I don't recall having any issues with temp. I was tempted to use the RK as I could do a couple of side dishes too. I may cook a turkey on the RK for Xmas.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »
I just pulled mine out of the brine, rinsed it off really well, dried it with paper towels, and tossed it in the fridge for the night. Damn, this is a big bird

The smoker is loaded up in the Jeep along with all of my needed grilling utensils. I'll be heading over to my parents place at O'dark thirty in the morning to set things up. I hope this wind we are having dies down over night, or I will be building a shelter in the morning.
-Keith

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Apple brined turkey
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
Right behind you / pulled mine out and rinsed /pat dry.  The meat seems to darken a bit due to brown sugar. The brine smells good when you open the lid. I agree on the wind. Good luck on your setup.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
Here is a good read about turkey prep , temp, and pointers on cooking a big bird. This site has other useful bbq related topics. Some here probably know of this site.
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »
Right behind both of you with the same thing.  Here's the bird in the sink ready to drain/rinse

Since it's 32 degrees out, I'm opting to not stick an uncovered poultry in the fridge.  Instead, he's in the cooler, in the garage.
(there's a frozen gallon jug of ice in the cooler also, just to make sure it stays cold enough)

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »
The Weber patio . The WSM looks all majestic on a cold sunny day in NJ.

Loading up with Frontier lump

I like to use the can/minion method.

After a quick spray of a little canola oil, bird is on the smoker. I have this cheapo rack that fits perfect in the WSM. Makes removal of the bird a breeze.

Fired up the 26 to make giblet gravy. Roasting up the giblets, neck, carrots, celery, onion, shallots , and garlic.

After deglazing with low sodium chicken broth, added some water, white wine, and fresh sage/thyme. Now to let simmer for reduction. The smell of this outside is awesome!