Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: You did WHAT to an SJ?!?!?!?  (Read 14280 times)

kako5256

• WKC Brave
Re: You did WHAT to an SJ?!?!?!?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
Ok that was pretty sick. If the paint doesn't hold up, I'm gonna build a looker just like it but in an R2D2 theme and just keep it displayed in te kitchen.
If it's a weber, I can't pass on it. That's my sickness! I hope I am never cured.

kako5256

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »
Thanks for the idea!
If it's a weber, I can't pass on it. That's my sickness! I hope I am never cured.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Re: You did WHAT to an SJ?!?!?!? Gee, so did I
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
I sprayed an SJG and IMUSA pot (back when they fit well) with the same red caliper paint but that is all I did - no sandblasting, no primer, no 200F curing.

The paint on the bottom of the SJG has come off - looks kinds like a beatup black SJG bottom.  The top which I only use for my mini looks GOOD.  The IMUSA pot has some problems on the lower area (where it gets hottest.

I recently got a Vasconia pot which I will wash with dilute vinegar, prime, paint and cure at 200F - My SJG bottom - I think I will sand (what grit?), prime, paint and cure it in hopes of getting a more fireproof red color.

Perhaps I shall steal the three leg/cake pan diffuser idea - if I want thermal mass, I can always put a terracotta pan on the cake pan.  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
Thanks for all of the great comments guys.  It was a fun project, and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

I think we're going to do some chicken in it (foul usually seems to like a higher temp to keep from getting rubber skin) so if there is chance of the paint failing, maybe that will do it.  I'll try to run it through it's paces!  I could see where the paint would slough off of a glossy finished porcelain bowl or lid.  Hopefully the sandblasting and primer makes the difference here.  It doesn't seem to have that normal "it was painted over a glossy finish so it breaks off with your fingernail" feel that things like this can, so I do have confidence that it will work.

I'd like to add this to the technical reference doc if thats OK with you.

PB-
I'm not what content in this could really be considered "reference material" but either way I'd be honored at that!   :P
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »
That looks incredible! Very nice work! Mini red bullet!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »
it's beautiful.
it's front page material.

esq3585

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »
Perfection, superb workmanship.

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 05:22:13 AM »
I too cut the bottom of my pot out with legs and a cake pan.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mini-wsm-is-taking-shape/

I like yours a lot and that paint should hold up well if you are only using it to smoke.

Temps won't be as high that way.
Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 05:57:34 AM »
I too cut the bottom of my pot out with legs and a cake pan.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mini-wsm-is-taking-shape/

I like yours a lot and that paint should hold up well if you are only using it to smoke.

Temps won't be as high that way.

Rick-
Thanks for posting.  I forgot to mention that the "legs" idea was a total rip-off from your original post.  It works well, and I can't wait to see how it cooks.   I agree that the paint "should" hold up seeing as this thing will only be used for smoking.  The only question mark is on the lower-bowl, because that piece should see some higher temps even when smoking.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »
That looks magnificent!  Like others, I can't wait to see how the paint holds up after time!  Keep up the great work!
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 04:02:19 AM »
Beautiful mini build.  These are still fun to build and allows you to showcase your creativity.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »
Well, I thought I would give everyone an update on how the Red Mini is holding up...

E-P-I-C   F-A-I-L!!!!

It seems as though the little voice in my head was right.   This cooker has had 3 cooks on it, and as you can see, the paint on the hotter bowl area is trashed from the heat. 

It's been relatively cool here with highs in the lower single digits, so all of the cooks on it have been done with the bottom damper fully open, creating LOTS of heat in the lower bowl area.

I can tell you that all was not lost.  This is a great little cooker.  Last weekend we were grilling steaks for a family member's birthday, and my wife goes, "Will you P-L-E-A-S-E make us one of those yummy smoked chickens in your little red smoker???"

It was a fun project, and is a great cooker.  I may gift it to a family member over the holidays to spread the grill-fella love.  This paint holds up well to physical abuse, but just cannot handle the heat, so I would not recommend painting the bowl with this (VHT Caliper) paint.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:37:38 AM by saxart »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 04:35:14 AM »
sorry-but when I see stuff like this I just shake my head.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »
Would a better primer help?

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »