Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: You did WHAT to an SJ?!?!?!?  (Read 14271 times)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Re: You did WHAT to an SJ?!?!?!?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »
sorry-but when I see stuff like this I just shake my head.
Can you give me a better suggestion for how to paint my SJ bottom? 8)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:55:13 PM by stl-rich »
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 06:24:39 PM »
How has the paint held up over the years?  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 09:27:15 PM »

THIS

also, thanks for bumping. I got to drool over the build all over again.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 04:47:11 AM »
Agree, Somehow I missed the original post. I have a spare sj sitting around that this gives me lots of ideas for.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 05:50:02 AM »
Wow.  I never saw this post either.  Awesome job and write up.  The after shots looks like this grill came red from the factory.  Since it was a black SJ and not some rare color I see no problem at all with what you did here.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

RadRacer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 07:43:38 AM »
If you look back a page, the bottom didn't hold up. Not sure of the rest of the setup.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »

Holy thread revival! 

Rich-   Take a look at page 2 of this thread. (middle of the way down)  The paint failed after just a few cooks.  My guess is that the pot, although cut out on the bottom, holds enough heat in the bowl that it gets super heated and the paint just can't handle THAT kind of heat. 

I do have to say that this paint seems to be very high quality with a nice gloss and hard finish, but this was probably taking it way out of it's intended temp range.  The pot and lid, for the most part, held up fine, it was the bowl that was trashed.

I ended up respraying the bowl, then gave it to my brother in law, who had been asking for a smoker for Christmas.  I warned him about the fact that the paint would probably just come off again, but he was still thrilled. It was a fun project and well worth it.   I haven't seen it since gifting it away, but I'm guessing it looks similar now to what it did when the paint first burned off.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 09:55:07 AM »
I remember this one.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
On my mini WSM, the bottom bowl gets way hotter than on any of my kettles. Freakin' heat just gets trapped, despite the steamer pot/cook area staying much cooler. But that's with a clay dish that cracked soon after implementation. It's been in semi-retirement since then, awaiting a pizza pan or some such diffuser.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
I use the steamer insert that came with my IMUSA as the defuser.  Not sure if you can order them separately or not.  I usually just place a disposable foil pan on top of that to catch drippings.  Has worked well for me so far.

Insert is picutured here leaning up against the pot.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
Oh duh, I probably still have mine somewhere. Thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 06:28:38 PM »
That makes me change my mind about the mini's. That turned out great, and what a good story to read. Love it, man. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 06:11:48 AM »
That makes me change my mind about the mini's. ...

In what way? Today, with the occasional 14.5" WSM that comes up on CL, the economics and hassle of building your own might favor getting the real thing instead. Also depends on what parts you may already have laying around or if you'd rather create something custom, of course.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 07:43:30 AM »
That makes me change my mind about the mini's. ...

In what way? Today, with the occasional 14.5" WSM that comes up on CL, the economics and hassle of building your own might favor getting the real thing instead. Also depends on what parts you may already have laying around or if you'd rather create something custom, of course.
Makes me change my mind in the way that it looks like a fun project.

Reading all the threads of "issues" seemed to be off putting, but I enjoy a fun project and that would definitely be one, rather than just buying something.

That's why I built a Uds. It was fun, and that sucker has gone for 17 hrs on 8lb. Of lump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »
very nice job! until, holy crap black bottom.   :'(
I only use kettles with lid bales.