Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM Questions  (Read 5440 times)

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
WSM Questions
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:20:43 PM »
For those WSM owners out there, or maybe just Harbormaster. ;D

Does the 2011 model WSM have the 'newer' water pan - the thicker, deeper one?

Also, does it have any eyelets for probes?

What are the main differences between the 2011 WSM and the new 2014 model?

Thanks!

Ken
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:49:37 PM by kendoll »
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
WSM Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:34:02 PM »
The eyelets are a new feature on 2014 models. I wouldn't shy away from a good CL deal on an older one. There are some dyi's to allow for temp probes floating around.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know about the water pan?

Nice avatar btw. :)

Ken

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 06:46:27 PM »
I wouldn't exactly call them "eyelets" for '14, but rather a grommet.  Eyelets are 2 small holes, 1 for each probe.
2009 was the year the WSM got an update.  The only difference between the '11 and 14' model is the grommet & handles on the lower grate.
Me, I much prefer the slot-mod instead of the grommet/eyelets.  A lot simplier to use on each end.  (placing and removing)
Here's my 22.5" and I need to perform this on my 18" also.

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
WSM Questions
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
Not sure on the water pan. I have a 2009 22 in WSM. I think it has only had one pan. The 18.5 may have had a couple different incarnations of the pan since it has been around longer. I think a 2011 would have the current version of the pan on a 18.5. I would like to pick up a 18.5 someday to round out my stable (picked up a 14.5 in WSM a couple months ago)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:04:38 AM »
Larger water pan was introduced in 2009 along with the built in thermo and heat deflector.

Silicone probe port was added in 2014 models. As far as I know, the 18.5 and 22.5 models still have the deep water pan.

BTW, all of mine are pre-2009 which is where my expertise is.

You guys.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

G$

• WKC Performer
On the pans:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:09:24 AM »
Hey ken, I am not sure which one you are wanting, but as a person who has owned the original shallow pan(SJ Lid), the new deep pan (SJ Bowl), as well as the ECB Charcoal bowl replacement pan mod, here is my input:

I like the deep bowl the least.  It really is too big, and does restrict the amount of coal you can add if you are looking to REAAALLY load it up.

The original shallow pan is ok, but will not hold much water of course.  HOWEVER ... 95% of my WSM cooks have no water in the pan.  If you are going to be buying a draft controller, most of your cooks will probably be dry too I would presume.  If that is the case, the shallow pan really is fine.

The ECB charcoal pan is my favorite and most versatile.  it is larger than the shallow pan so it could hold water if I wanted it too.  I have not measured the volume but it must be close to the volume of the new large pan.   And it has a flat bottom which serves two benefits:  keeps out of the way of the coal a little bit, and can be placed on a table without wobbling.....

YMMV.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:12:04 AM by G$ »

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 05:19:09 AM »
G$ --- are you using the larger pan on an 09 or newer or older WSM?
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »
I own a 2008 WSM, and love it.  Did 6 racks of ribs on it this Saturday, in fact, to rave reviews. 

The 2014 silicone insert is really sweet, but not enough reason to buy a new WSM, imo.  And I second the praise for the Brinkmann charcoal pan mod-- plenty of volume for overnight cooks while still offering plenty of headspace for charcoal. 

Also, I too am using water less, and terra cotta planter dish more and more often.  My WSM used to run hot, but runs really nicely at about 250 with lump and no water in the pan. 
One of the charcoal people.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
I'm in the opposite situation of Harbormaster. All of my WSMs (a considerably smaller collection than his  ;D ) are 2009 or later. In addition to the mods he mentioned, I believe that door was modified slightly from 2009 going forward. That makes them easy to differentiate as the older ones have a round knob compared to the handle. And I think I have been told that before 2009 there was no 22.

I do agree that the deeper bowl on the 18 restricts the quantity of charcoal you can fit in the ring. There are times when I set the bowl on he charcoal and it settles to the tabs as the charcoal burns. It has never bothered me enough to seek out a shallower bowl. I do like the thermometer port on the new 14" WSM but have been happy with an eyelet in my other WSMs. I'm sure the notch that Bman made works as well - perhaps better. My eyelets are a little below grate level and require a little fishing to get above the top grate.

I do not see enough difference between the generations to favor one over another. I bought my first one new and since it was the same price, opted for the newer style just because. The 22 came up on CL at a great price so I snagged it and of course I was not going to wait for the new 14 to show up on CL. I would have snagged an 1880 (original 14 WSM) had I ever seen one at a decent price, but I never saw one at any price.
kettles, smokers...

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the info provided. Plenty of things to think about.

I have 2 18.5" one with the shallow pan (2007 I think) and the other with the newer depper pan (2012 I think) which I have not yet used.

I have only ever used the WSM with water (and had the inevitable temp rise when the water has all evoprated overnight). the longest cook i have done was about 18 hours. Do you think the deeper pan would prevent this length of cook (without adding extra fuel)? If using the terracotta pan (is this just like the base of a pot plant?) then I assume the shallow pan would be a preference?

I will have to check this Brinkmann pan mod too.

Thanks again everyone.

Ken

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:10:24 PM »
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the info provided. Plenty of things to think about.

I have 2 18.5" one with the shallow pan (2007 I think) and the other with the newer depper pan (2012 I think) which I have not yet used.

I have only ever used the WSM with water (and had the inevitable temp rise when the water has all evoprated overnight). the longest cook i have done was about 18 hours. Do you think the deeper pan would prevent this length of cook (without adding extra fuel)? If using the terracotta pan (is this just like the base of a pot plant?) then I assume the shallow pan would be a preference?

I will have to check this Brinkmann pan mod too.

Thanks again everyone.

Ken

You had me at pot plant!  :D

I don't think I've ever done an 18 hour cook. I did use water in the pan for years. Then I strove to control temperature to the point where the the water did not boil off. At that point I started using a foiled dry pan. I also stopped obsessing about holding temperature within 10°F or thereabouts to the desired temperature. You can run a little higher without any deleterious effects to the cook.
kettles, smokers...

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
+1 for the brinkmann CHARCOAL pan as a water pan. They are like $5 at academy and bass pro. And what should come with the wsm, the stock pans are existing weber lids sans holes and a cost saving feature.

I go no pan, empty, or water filled equally. I like water for cooks less than 8 hours that I want below 275. I like trying all the methods and finding what works for me depending on what I'm cooking and how much time I have.
#grubdubs

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »

You had me at pot plant!  :D
So is it one? :)

Ken

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
If using the terracotta pan (is this just like the base of a pot plant?) then I assume the shallow pan would be a preference?

Ken
Yes Ken, exactly that.  I went from shallow pan to Brinkman pan then to terracotta flower pot saucer in the Brinkman pan as I had been using the Brinkman pan and couldn't find the shallow pan 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)