Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Favorites.....part one............Juicy Lucys  (Read 2849 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Favorites.....part one............Juicy Lucys
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »

Here's one I haven't done for awhile that's always real good ~~~~>

fix up a semi-thin burger, add cheese, top with another burger, zip up the edges & grill.......

Do up some bacon 1st......gotta have bacon.......

When the cheese starts to squeeze, ya know it's gettin' close.....

Pile everything on a bun & see if it'll close....

Wife decided she wasn't quite THAT hungry & just peeled one side off.....instant standard cheeseburger.....

That was fun.......what's next?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Favorites.....part one............Juicy Lucys
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:11 AM »
Years ago I worked in Minneapolis for Honeywell. Every Friday my team would go to Matt's bar for a Jucy Lucy (notice the spelling) and a couple beers for lunch. (Remember when business people would do that?) I believe that place invented them, (see below)  but others may argue that point. In any case, they were good then, and they are great now. I might have to grill up a couple myself this weekend.

Matt’s Bar & Grill, now a Minneapolis landmark, began in 1954 as a neighborhood burger eatery. Shortly after we opened, founder Matt Bristol explains how the “Jucy Lucy” was created when a local customer asked for two hamburger patties with a slice of cheese in the middle. Upon biting into this new, molten hot burger, he exclaimed “that’s one juicy Lucy”, and a legend was born. Customer demand grew so quickly, we forgot to add the “i” and the “Jucy Lucy” has now become a local culinary hero. Remember, if it’s spelled correctly, you just might be eating a shameless ripoff!

Matt’s has received numerous awards, and has appeared in publications from
Hamburgers Across America to the The New York Times. Matt’s has been featured on the Travel Channel’s Man Vs. Food and Food Wars, where we won the best tasting “Jucy Lucy” in town. Each “Jucy Lucy” is carefully handmade with the freshest, high-quality beef and filled with the molten hot cheese you can only find at Matt’s. Once you’ve had our “Jucy Lucy”, you’ll understand why our motto is “Fear the Cheese”!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
I just found this while browsing the interwebs. 

Notice Iowa(Loose Meat) and Minnesota(Jucy Lucy) both have been mentioned here.

http://www.zagat.com/b/50-states-50-sandwiches
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
Years ago I worked in Minneapolis for Honeywell. Every Friday my team would go to Matt's bar for a Jucy Lucy (notice the spelling) and a couple beers for lunch. (Remember when business people would do that?) I believe that place invented them, (see below)  but others may argue that point. In any case, they were good then, and they are great now. I might have to grill up a couple myself this weekend.

Matt’s Bar & Grill, now a Minneapolis landmark, began in 1954 as a neighborhood burger eatery. Shortly after we opened, founder Matt Bristol explains how the “Jucy Lucy” was created when a local customer asked for two hamburger patties with a slice of cheese in the middle. Upon biting into this new, molten hot burger, he exclaimed “that’s one juicy Lucy”, and a legend was born. Customer demand grew so quickly, we forgot to add the “i” and the “Jucy Lucy” has now become a local culinary hero. Remember, if it’s spelled correctly, you just might be eating a shameless ripoff!

Matt’s has received numerous awards, and has appeared in publications from
Hamburgers Across America to the The New York Times. Matt’s has been featured on the Travel Channel’s Man Vs. Food and Food Wars, where we won the best tasting “Jucy Lucy” in town. Each “Jucy Lucy” is carefully handmade with the freshest, high-quality beef and filled with the molten hot cheese you can only find at Matt’s. Once you’ve had our “Jucy Lucy”, you’ll understand why our motto is “Fear the Cheese”!

The "jucy" lucy is definitely the goods!  I think I know what I'm cooking for dinner this weekend!

This picture brought back some memories... thanks for sharing this, Marty! A very good friend of mine lived in Minneapolis for many years (he just moved down to Austin, TX a couple of months ago). Sadly, I only had the opportunity to visit him once when he was in MN, back in 2004 (in December... what the hell was I thinking going to MN in December??  :o). Matt's was one of the only places he insisted on taking me. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:49:37 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »
We should set up a WKC meeting at Matts sometime this next spring/summer.   Just think, we could all sit around eating Jucy Lucys telling them how much better they would taste if they were grilled on a Weber.   ::)

I'm in!!   8)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:16:56 PM »
Count me in for that! I still remember the halon over the griddle going off every once in a while when the cheese innards went nuclear. No worries, they just served 'em up anyway. Classic joint!