Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Max Turkey Size and Cooking Preference Question - COOK PHOTOS ADDED  (Read 5852 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
I've done turkey indirect before with good results. But now I have a CB rotisserie. If you had both a roti and the option to do it indirect, which would you use for your turkey? I'm kind of thinking I'd like to try the roti. this year.

Secondly, what is the max size turkey you could do on the roti.? Could it handle a 22 pounder?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:19:00 PM by Mark Schnell »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Max Turkey Size and Cooking Preference Question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
I think 22 lbs is stretching it.  I would stick with the range of 14 to 16 lbs.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:34:09 AM »
I wonder if a big bird like that would have enough room on a 22 done indirect. I could still use the roti ring for extra headroom.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:42:28 AM »
I used the CB roti ring for just that reason with the big bird in this thread. Worked out well.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/foul-ball!/msg40310/#msg40310

NeoTrout

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
Rotisserie is the way to go. The biggest bird I did was a 24 pounder.  8)

Steve
"Le Grille? What the hell is that?"

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
Okay, NeoTrout, that's what I'm talking about! I need some more info. I see your set up is the normal indirect on either side.

How long did it take?

How much charcoal did you use to start with? Whole chimney, half chimney, etc.? How much did you use when you replenished?

Any other special directions for one that big?

Now that I see yours I'm going that route too!!

I've got a buddy that's raising a bird for me right now so I want to really do my homework before the big day.

NeoTrout

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »
I use a whole chimney to start. Divided equally for each side. I have the charcoal baskets now so I use those. Aluminum pan in the center with chicken broth celery and onions for gravy fixins. I run everything wide open and plan for about 13 - 15 min per pound. Outdoor conditions will change that a bit either way. Tie the legs and wings down with butcher twine so they don't flop around. (As seen in the pics). You have to keep an eye on it, once the skin gets to where I want I wrap a piece of foil around the bird so it doesn't burn up too much. I do it unstuffed, just some onion, lemon, apple and herbs in the cavity. Some small wood splits when the coals burn down a little. Baste with herb butter occasionally. Add more charcoal when the first batch burns down.
Hope this helps. I never really wrote down my process I just do it and it turns out great every time.  8)
Steve

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »
Thanks, Neo. I hope I can get results like yours!!

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
A few more questions, NeoTrout. The drip pan in the second photo looks pretty scary. Are you still able to use that for gravy? I suppose it might just be the lighting and angle of the photo, but it looks pretty blackened. Do you have to add any more broth to it during the cook?

NeoTrout

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »
Yeah. I guess that does look a bit scary. I knocked one of my smoldering hickory splits into it. Didn't affect things though. For the gravy I make a light roux and add the stuff from the pan (minus the burned wood  :P) You can add more broth if needed.
Steve

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »
I think 22 lbs is stretching it.  I would stick with the range of 14 to 16 lbs.
You're scaring me now.  ???

Rotisserie is the way to go. The biggest bird I did was a 24 pounder.  8)
I'm happy to hear that!  ;D

I have a 28 lb bird to do for Thanksgiving and was planning to do it on my rotisserie. I did a 12 lb trial bird and it came out good. Hopefully the spit motor will have enough oomph to turn a larger bird.

The 12 lb bird was done in 2 hours and 10 minutes with 300°F reading on the center lid thermometer. I was surprised it went that fast.
kettles, smokers...

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:34:32 AM »
I think the lack of stuffing in the bird is what speeds it up compared to cooking them in the oven.  I have cooked a lot of roaster chickens in my kettle and they always turn out great.  One of these days I'll get myself a roti.  I've been meaning to make one from a 55g drum I have, but I've never got around to it.  That bird looks great

I'm attempting a 20lber on my big WSM for Thanksgiving.  I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out when I want to get the bird fired up in the morning.  Ahh......it wouldn't be the holidays without a little stress  ;D
-Keith

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
Well, the turkey, or small ostrich, turned out to be 24.25 pounds. I chickened out on the roti and just used the ring as a riser to give me more clearance. The turkey was the best I've had yet. We had eight for Thanksgiving dinner and I only carved half of it for the table and I think we might have eaten a fourth of it that day. Lots of amazing leftovers!!
BTW - For scale purposes in the first photo - I'm 6'3" and going about 310 right now. Big bird!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Max Turkey Size and Cooking Preference Question - COOK PHOTOS ADDED
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
Great looking bird Mark! I have a Roti, I would do the same as you did. I have success with indirect method too.

NeoTrout

• Smokey Joe
Re: Max Turkey Size and Cooking Preference Question - COOK PHOTOS ADDED
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 08:00:36 AM »
Nice bird. Here's mine. Just a 20 pounder this year.  8)

Steve