Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So this is how my morning went...  (Read 5907 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
So this is how my morning went...
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »
I saw the ad for the red at the estate sale in Glenview. For those of you who don't know area's like Glenview are one of the Mecca's of old grills.  These are old money area's where you find grails.  So the sale was supposed to start at 10:00 AM.  I got there at 8:30.  Two people were there...no one else, no one from the Estate Sale.  So I walked around the back to see what was there.  I came around the corner and there it was. First I could see the thumbscrews.  The ash pan appears to be from a 26, it fit's real strange.  Makes you wonder what has gone on in this grills life.  Anyhow, once I got closer I checked the vent and it just says BAR-B-QUE KETTLE, no pat pend, no pat number.  So it's gotta be between 63'-67'.  It has one ding on the lid and that's it.  Handle still has finish on it, and the wheels look almost new....Me and the other guy are standing there wondering if anyone will show up from the sale.  Finally at 9:00 someone shows up.  He pulls up and asks what we are looking for.  Of course I say the grill and he says.  No problem, I'll let you guys in early.  He looks at me and asks if $20 sounded fair.  Which I said yes.  So I loaded up the grill.  I also picked up a box of drop cloths, I figured if I shipped some grills to people I would need some blankets...

However I wasn't done.  I called on a NIB Smokey Joe and it was only 20 min away.  So I met this guy and got that.

But that wasn't the end of the story.  Look what I spied pulling into the storage area....

An old metal wheel 26 and an old 22.I pulled to the house and knocked but no one answered.  It was a bust...

So I pulled out into the neighborhood, and I happened to notice this....

Again I tried to knock but no answer, the bottom of the pedestal was totally roached......it was a no go.

So I finally got home, and my neighbor was standing out front, and he asked if I knew what a potato ring is?  I said for a grill?  He said yea, he walks into the garage and comes back with a never been used Corn and Tater ring.  He said he got it at a garage sale for .50 cents...I told him I'd give him $20.  He was happy and I walked into the house at the stroke of noon.....and that's how my morning went.....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: So this is how my morning went...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
Wow. Not a bad Sunday, at all. Great score on the red!  Can't wait to see some 'cleaned up' pix. 

You going to hang onto the Corn and Tater ring?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
WOW brian. Thanks for the pics and story. I  Will double your money on that red .........
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:05:36 PM by G$ »

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
If you make any progress on the red with the roached base, if it is a gas kettle, I sure am interested 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
Hey rich, you may want to also talkto terry out his red gasser....

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:10:21 PM »
If anyone from the city want's to take a shot at that red gasser I can tell you where it is.  Maybe you can go by and knock,  see if someone is home?  The flat top 26 is almost across the street, I can give directions.....It's just not in my neck of the woods

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
WOW Brian, what a day!  That's some serious kettle karma you've got going there. 
One of the charcoal people.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:17:40 PM »
You know it's funny, I went to get that smokey yesterday and the guy flaked on me and I was pissed because I was halfway there.  So I was mad and I told my Droid "Okay Google Now" "find me an estate sale"  So MY Droid found me a sale in two seconds close to my house, but there was nothing...I thought man I really got skunked.  I was thinking my kettle Karma had let me down....I was just a day early....

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »
Plus I met Terry on Thursday to pick up some parts to be shipped for a WKC member.  I guess some of his mojo rubbed off....

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
You bet it did, great pickups buddy! Those other kettles close to me or are the too far?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
Wow...what a roll you were on today!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Schiller park.  Irving Park Road just east of 294....

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
I'm sure someone would deal those if you could talk to them....

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »
My favorite part of the story was your neighbor waiting for you with a corn-and-tater ring...  it really pays to let people know what you're into, so they can be agents for you.  Plus I'm smiling imagining this guy bragging to his friends about his nutty neighbor who gave him a $19.50 finder's fee.  Lol. 
One of the charcoal people.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
He was so happy to get the $20...