Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What post best describes the snake method?  (Read 7189 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What post best describes the snake method?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 06:45:21 AM »

Aawa
.....that's the same way I think about these setups, too......more about the amount of available fuel & less about noodling vents.......the vents are important,, but less so with setups like these.....

Great pics !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 07:04:39 AM »

Aawa
.....that's the same way I think about these setups, too......more about the amount of available fuel & less about noodling vents.......the vents are important,, but less so with setups like these.....

Great pics !!!!!

I agree.  Yes there is something gratifying about being able to control the fire you built.  But I would much rather let the kettle or my UDS run where it is comfortable with how much fuel I put in etc. 

I like knowing the fire is the hottest it can possibly be, which leads to a nice clean fire and thin blue smoke.  Where when you choke the draft down, it takes longer for the fire to be ready to smoke on, and takes longer to recover when you open the lid.

Now for shorter cooks, such as ribs,  I like to just pile it all on 1 side and adjust the vents etc.  I don't mind babysitting the kettle for 2-4 hours.  Any longer than that, I would much rather have a method that babysits itself for hours on end.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »

Yeah, I get that......here's a butt, full ring............. side-by-side with ribs..................

.....coals piled to one side..................

I'll use chips of lump that might ordinarily fall thru the grate to keep the chain burning a bit better...............

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:43:08 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"