Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Worst Weber pickup?  (Read 3872 times)

salad

• WKC Ranger
Worst Weber pickup?
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
I'm new at this but this "sickness" is no different than anything other thing people obsess over. 
Usually, when you first start hunting something you make some bad purchases.  I believe I did just that on Friday.  Found a redhead on Craigslist and picked it up.  Dented lid and no wood on the handles at all!  It truly looks like the lid was repeated dropped but blinded by Weberitis, I loaded it in the car.  Told myself it just needs to be cleaned and "touched up".  Well, the bowl is nice but the lid has two dents at the handle.  The lid handle itself was cocked to one side and it had a dent in the center.  I sorted the dents out as best as i could but of course, even light tapping with a rubber mallet caused some tiny cracks in the coat.  Tomorrow I'll get some caliper paint for the handle area and see how it comes out. 
The redhead cost me $25 so no big deal but I probably should have let this one go to another home.  This will be the one i schlep to the beach and/or park.  At least it got rescued.  Would hate to see any redhead used as a planter. 

So guys, what are some of your worst Weber pickups? 
WTB 18 fruit

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Worst Weber pickup?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »
when I got Buddy, I thought he was assembled but unused based on the add pic. In person, I saw some dings w/rust on the lid rim. Still bought him. A quick chore boy/dish soap scrub got rid of the rust. Some high heat bbq paint and an old brush sealed up the metal. I was a bit let down once I realized it wasn't new/unused. But I wanted a kettle and this was a semi-rare. Did some research here and elsewhere and learned how easy and effective the fix was and now have no regrets. Do some searching and i'm sure you'll figure a way to make your redhead an apple in your eye  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:31:03 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
I never considered any of my purchases bad they can always be used for parts,  $25 dollars for a red head great deal!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »
i once drove 1.5 hrs to drive up the sellers street and see the said bbq out the front
i wish it wasnt a deadend street as i would of driven straight past the said kettle (mini ranch)
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
  At least it got rescued.  Would hate to see any redhead used as a planter. 

Here here!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:12:28 AM »
I kinda thought the same thing when I picked up my red 18 about a month ago.
Driving home, my wife said, "The bottom looks pretty bad!" And, it was bad.
However, I proceeded to do the restore, and, I'm glad I did. A Redhead rescue is always worth it.  :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Worst Weber pickup?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »
I felt the same about my black 3 wheeler. The handle was bent to the side. It looked rough as well. But I learned that day that a weber will deceive you, even in rough shape. Some elbow grease and a rubber mallet now I have a great cooker. My homer was rough as well. But JB weld fixed the holes in the bracket mounts. I just need some yellow high temp and it's back to being a good looking kettle.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »
I don't have any bad pickups, may have paid a little to much but.... ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »
I got a brownie recently that is a real rat.  I was happy to get it but boy it is shabby....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
Worst Weber pickup?
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
All pickups are worth it. I've got a rat black 2001 OTS that was thrown in for free with a '99 redhead I snagged last week that's sitting on the side of the house waiting behind 3 other projects pending..... The lid handle is broken off but it's a clean break... and it's still with the grill inside the bowl. Not sure what I'm turning that one into yet.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 07:14:23 PM »
I don't have a worst pick up, just some that are disappointing. I picked up an 18.5" daisy for free a few blocks away, I cleaned it, and couldnt even flip that damn thing for $10-15. I ended up leaving it on the curb. I picked up a $40 green ss performer once with a big a** dent on the lid, cleaned it up, pounded the dent out, but couldn't flip that one for $75 even. I ended up parting it out, making a ton of members happy. Everything else though has been great!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

JayCee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 09:23:38 PM »
I went to pick up a Weber Performer. Not too far from home, great condition, cheap price, came with a cover and the seller was friendly. The only bad thing was it wasn't staying with me. I was collecting it for Kendoll.  :-[

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:25:06 PM »
I don't have a worst pick up, just some that are disappointing. I picked up an 18.5" daisy for free a few blocks away, I cleaned it, and couldnt even flip that damn thing for $10-15. I ended up leaving it on the curb. I picked up a $40 green ss performer once with a big a** dent on the lid, cleaned it up, pounded the dent out, but couldn't flip that one for $75 even. I ended up parting it out, making a ton of members happy. Everything else though has been great!

You do remember that you live in Beserkely, right?  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »

You do remember that you live in Beserkely, right?  8)

Thanks for adopting the green bowl!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »
^I think I saw pics of that green performer.  Yeah, that was pretty beat. 

Yeah, you guys are right.  No real regrets.  She may not be the prettiest girl at the party but I bet she can cook!  I'm behind in my work on the redhead due to just not having any time but hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some results.
WTB 18 fruit