Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old or new lid on a SS Performer?  (Read 4627 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Old or new lid on a SS Performer?
« on: September 07, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
So my black DT (2003) Performer has some rust around the top handle, and the fine folks at Weber are replacing the lid under the 10 year warranty for rust.  I am very pleased about this.  Weber rocks!

Here's the thing, though:  it came yesterday, and instead of the old-style thermo-in-handle lid (which I was told they still make), it is the new style with two holes in the lid to mount a thermometer and bezel.  I don't have the new style thermo and bezel, however, so I'm at a bit of a loss.  I contacted the CS guy on the case, and haven't heard back yet.  My best guess is that Weber will either ask me to return ship the newer lid to exchange it, or maybe send me a newer thermo setup for the lid they just sent. 

So here's the question: which would you prefer?  The old-style lid for the old-style Performer, or the newer setup?  I'm not going to be a purist about a relatively new grill (and especially one that is black), so I could go either way.  If given a choice, what lid would you pick? 
One of the charcoal people.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Old or new lid on a SS Performer?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:38:37 AM »
Hi Mike
I went through a similar situation as you with replacing a lid on my SS Performer with the temp gauge in the handle.  When I spoke to the Weber CS rep., they told me the old lid was still available.  (This was last year)  They sent me the replacement lid, and it was the new style with the temp gauge like the new style.  I called Weber and it turns out that the old lid is no longer available.  So I told them...well what I am supposed to do because my old thermometer obviously won't fit this lid.  They immediately sent me a thermometer (new style) that would fit my new lid.  They sent it to me at no charge.

As far as new vs old...for me, its not really a BIG deal.  I like the old one because I can read it from a longer way away if I'm not next to the grill.  I turn the lid with the gauge facing towards my door and I can could see it just fine.  NOW... if I want to know what the temp is, I have to go out and stand over the lid to be able to read it.  I think thats the only downside I can think of other than the obvious cosmetic one.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:40:42 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »
in my experience, the new therms are much more accurate than the old.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:39:37 AM »
I agree, I tested a few of those older thermos and they weren't very accurate. I would never use one to test my meat. I'm in favor of the newer style lid and thermo.
I guess if you must have the original look, you could maybe try to trade someone for the newer style. So if thats in your fututr, be sure to sayve te box they shipped the lid to you in.
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
I have both styles, and somehow I never trust that older style....

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
The collective wisdom found at this site is remarkable.  Now if only all of y'all could get jobs at Weber CS, we'd save a lot of trouble (and waiting, and shipping costs). 

The new style thermometer is in the mail, FOC.  Just like everyone above said. 

And I have to admit, I'm kinda looking forward to having a sleek modern lid/thermo on my older grill.  I kinda like how the new setup allows you to see the thermometer while having your coals banked to the left and your top vent on the right.  Now if I can just get an O'Neal wood handle, I will be the envy of the whole neighborhood.

Thanks again!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
I bet it wouldn't be to hard to get one of those handles.....

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
I personally reccomend this handle on a black grill. It looks so shweet!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »
That is SCHWEEEET!  8)

Craig

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »
My new thermometer kit came the other day, and after cooking on the reconfigured grill a couple of times, I am very happy.  The one disappointment is that the newer handle gets a *lot* hotter than the previous iteration of the plastic handle.  Guess I'd better switch to wood!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 05:23:23 AM »

That's AJ's witches weber. He casts spells with it when hes's not cooking on it. ???

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »

Quote from: Heyjude on September 07, 2012, 08:27:02 PM

Shaun said, " That's AJ's witches weber. He casts spells with it when hes's not cooking on it. "

Careful, I'm already brewing a pot for that comment about my hairy fat legs.. And quit looking at my legs!! That's kinda creepy, like your hair bug!! Yuck!