Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle packing and shipping  (Read 2648 times)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Kettle packing and shipping
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »
Just curious if anyone had packed and shipped a 22.5 kettle . How did it go, how did you pack it, did it arrive ok, very expensive ?

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Kettle packing and shipping
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:47:18 PM »
I paid $18.61 to have my 22.5 Brownie shipped to me. It was probably low for me (for a 22.5) since it came from Waverly IA, and I'm in Omaha, NE. About a 4 hour/ 280 mile drive I don't have time to make right now. So I had it shipped. It came packed fairly well, I would have used more styrofoam, this guy used clear leaf bags to cover the lid and the bowl and the leg/triangle assembly. The box was about the same size box that a new 22.5 comes in. As somewhat clean as the the inside of the bowl and lid were when I got it, it smelled across between old fried chicken grease and that 'antique store' smell. Yeah, she's gonna be getting a bath. I need to sanitize and make it smell like charcoal and wood again.

Craig

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
The Post office is all over the place on cost. Oversize, distance, etc.
IMHO, the best way to ship is in an original Weber box.. And stick as much bubble wrap or paper as can fit in the box.  Especially in the area of the handles.
Try and get a box from a BBQ store. They might have a floor model box in the back.
I sent one from Cali to Chicago. Around $30. I bought a box from U-Haul. Not the best. Had to cut it down to save a few bucks. I used a bunch of bubble wrap. It still arrived with the handle slightly bent. I didn't send anything but the bowl and lid.
Its really not cost effective unless its a hard to find collectible. or your from Alabama and the only color there is black!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:01:27 AM »
Get a 24" X 24" box from a packing supply place.  I got one that was that size, but it was adjustable on the height since 24" tall is a little bit too much.  It left just enough room around the edge to allow for packing (a 22.5" kettle).   One of the most important things is to turn the lid upside inside the bowl.  Make sure you put lots of cardboard in between where the lid sits in the bowl.  (Take a piece of cardboard...a strip of it, fold it in half and set it over the rim of the bowl.  Do this all around the rim of the bowl, then set the lid upside down so it rests on all those cardboard strips that sit over the bowl lip)  This way no jiggling will chip your paint.  Another good idea is to use bubble wrap around the whole circumfrance of the lid and bowl edge.  Another thing that works well is if you go buy some foam pipe insulation.  That fits nicely around the edge too and is thicker.  I also take the cooking grate and charcoal grate and zip tie them together and put them on the bottom of the box with a sheet of cardboard over them so the legs sockets of the kettle bowl don't grind against the grates.  The rest of the small pieces can be tucked around the corners in empty spaces.  Then just fill the rest of the empty areas with lots of bubble wrap.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
I have sent a few here and there and it was in the $20-25 dollar range.  I thought the price was pretty good considering how big the box was.

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »
The main concern ive found when packing
Is to make sure there is heaps of protection when you put the
Lid inside the bowl because the cooking grate
Lugs can easily remove porcelain from the outside
Of lid
Just like when you have sex with a feral chick you wear 2 condoms