Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tri-Tip Adam Perry Lang Style  (Read 3253 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
Tri-Tip Adam Perry Lang Style
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »
I went to the butchers this morning to see if anything struck my fancy.  The tri tip and the andouille spoke to me and I picked them up.

I was going to go the nice basic salt, pepper, garlic route on the tri tip but I then remembered Adam Perry Lang had a recipe for a honey garlic glazed tri tip in his Serious BBQ book, so i decided to go that route.

I peeled both the tri tips I bought.  You can see one is clearly a lot better looking that his brother.

I then made the chili powder paste and seasoning blend. 

Flavor Paste -
1/4 mild chile powder
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon beef base in paste form

Seasoning Blend -
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 tablespoon course ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I let the tri tips sit and I went to get the kettle fired up.  I remembered reading that California Tri-tip is typically done over oak wood fire.  So I took some branches that I was seasoning and burned them down over a bed of kbb.

APL does the typical sear then indirect cook, so that is what I did.  I threw on a couple chunks of oak onto the coals to give it a little bit more oomph of smoke.  During the indirect cook I applied the glaze every 5mins as instructed by APL. 

Honey Garlic Glaze
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
5 garlic cloves (microplane grated)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

I pulled them when the IT reached 135 degrees and let them rest for 20mins.  Here is a crappy shot of one.  You can see the juices that came out while resting.  I definitely used that Au Jus when plating. :loco:

I sliced against the grain at a 45 degree angle  and here is another crappy shot of the medium rare tri tip slices, plated with the sauteed onions and grilled zuchinni and squash.

Finishing dressing that goes on the cutting board
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup  chopped chives
sprinkle of Salt (recommend fleur de sel, I used sea salt)

After slicing sprinkle a little bit more finishing salt

The Tri Tip turned out good, but I am on the fence if it was great or not (so probably not great).  The sweetness from the glaze just didn't seem right to be on this application of beef.  I probably should of throw it directly over the coals at the very end to cook off some of the sweetness.  Overall though it was a good dinner, but I probably won't be using that recipe again because I am not a big fan of beef being sweet.

***Editted to include recipes from APL***
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:53:06 PM by Aawa »
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
Very nice. You are quickly setting yourself up as a top chef here. Please keep it coming!

Aawa

• WKC Brave
Re: Tri-Tip Adam Perry Lang Style
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:10:52 PM »
Thank you for such a great compliment Ted B
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »
Nice cook, Aawa. We appreciate the effort for doing writeups on your cooks.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
Another great cook sir! I look forward to seeing the next one.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:51:27 PM »
Nice cook, Aawa. We appreciate the effort for doing writeups on your cooks.

Thanks Pbe.  I enjoy doing the write ups and hope that they help give people ideas for future cooks.  I have drawn a lot of inspiration and ideas from different threads on several forums I read, and i'm just trying to do my part to pass on the inspiration.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »
Editted orginal post to include the recipes from APL's book.