Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow painted green restore-Part 2  (Read 5681 times)

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Yellow painted green restore-Part 2
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
Here's is today's work...

I kept thinking about how to fix the bottom vents, and I was going to go with a inside and outside vents setup like some of you suggested, but Duke's idea of an ash pan was attractive to me. One of the big reasons is that it is one piece of metal. Structurally for the bottom of the bowl, I think it needed that extra support. I also want this project to be done by anyone here, so I did not want to go the route of having things welded on. From working on cars and motorcycles, one item that always did the trick for me was JB Weld and can be found at HD.

Reminder of how bad it is:

Got it nice and clean inside the bowl

Spray painted an ash pan with some high heat paint and the most amazing stuff on the planet...I've even stopped Harley Davidson forks from leaking with this stuff

ash pan fits perfect

Taped it down where I wanted it. Flipped it over and then marked the holes where the vents screw in.

here it is drilled

I mixed up the JB Weld, using both tubes entirely. I spread it on with a plastic knife on the bottom of the kettle over where the leg brackets are and on the bottom of the bowl. I put the ashpan right back in and screwed it down with some screws.

here what it looks like from underneath

I'll let the weld cure over night and then tomorrow I will drill the new holes for the vents and get them functioning again. Stay tuned!
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Yellow painted green restore-Part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
I like what you've done so far.
A lot of work ... but, it's a Weber kettle ... it will be worth it.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:35:09 PM »
That's great Tattoo, I love that idea 8)
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
Nice work! two thoughts:

1. Are you actually saying that the profile of the the ash catcher and the bottom of the 22.5" bowl is the same?
2. Did you seal the entire bottom surface of that bowl with JB weld? I would be worried of ash getting in there and locking in moisture for rust.

Either way, nice job. It looks alot better than I anticipated already.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
Looking good so far! My question and forgive me for asking, but what about airflow at the bottom? I'm not as familiar with the kettles that have the internal ash pans like the Happy Cookers and how they are set up so I'm just asking, not criticizing.  :)

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Nice work! two thoughts:

1. Are you actually saying that the profile of the the ash catcher and the bottom of the 22.5" bowl is the same?
2. Did you seal the entire bottom surface of that bowl with JB weld? I would be worried of ash getting in there and locking in moisture for rust.

Either way, nice job. It looks alot better than I anticipated already.

The profile is really close. I was worried about the gap too, but once I put the JB Weld on, and tightened up the screws, it pretty much sealed the ashpan to the bottom of the bowl.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »
Looking good so far! My question and forgive me for asking, but what about airflow at the bottom? I'm not as familiar with the kettles that have the internal ash pans like the Happy Cookers and how they are set up so I'm just asking, not criticizing.  :)

Once the JB Weld sets, I'm going to drill out the new vent holes for the vents. Hopefully tomorrow.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
love the ingenuity
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
Yellow painted green restore-Part 2
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »
Way cool! Nice work!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
Gonna be a great Cooker when its done! Long Live the Yeller!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 10:51:11 PM »
call me a paranoid science foodie geek - but i'm concerned about the vapors coming from the hot paint on the ash pan and from the JB weld.

It's probably very minor and won't kill you on first cook - but i would at least do several burn ins just to minimize the chemical burn off

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 04:11:25 AM »
call me a paranoid science foodie geek - but i'm concerned about the vapors coming from the hot paint on the ash pan and from the JB weld.

It's probably very minor and won't kill you on first cook - but i would at least do several burn ins just to minimize the chemical burn off

Both the paint and the JB weld can withstand some pretty high heats. The paint is rated for a 1000 degree F and the JB Weld is 550 degrees. I'm hoping after a few cooks, everything will get sealed up nice... I won't be cooking any pizzas in this thing.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:38 AM »
Troy said what I was thinking. 

I like to avoid JB Weld in my food cooking devices, and the bottom of the kettle is literally the hottest part (That is why it crazes and falls apart).  Unfortunately, paint rated to xxxx degrees sometimes does not work that way in practice.  Not wanting to be a downer here Ant, because the work you are putting in is fantastic, and it sure looks great so far.

Fortunately, I am wrong a lot, and you will probably have a stout yellow kettle with no flaking paint!

Michael Berry

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
I used jb weld once to attach a leg socket to the bottom of the bowl...let it set up for days.  It disapperared before the coals even ashed over...couldn't stand the heat.

timleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
I used jb weld once to attach a leg socket to the bottom of the bowl...let it set up for days.  It disapperared before the coals even ashed over...couldn't stand the heat.

I have a similar experience with JB Weld.  Maybe I mixed it wrong.