Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling mistakes that amateurs make  (Read 7818 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Grilling mistakes that amateurs make
« on: August 31, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »
I saw this and thought I would share it here. It also calls it "Crimes againt Grilling". I think that title would make a great thread.  :D

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/crimes-against-grilling-154700160.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:35:05 PM by Troy »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Grilling mistakes that amateurs make
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 03:32:35 PM »
The like doesnt work  ???

Craig

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:53:33 AM »
Neither does the link!   ;)

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »
 >:( I hate yahoo!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
I fixed your link.

The content was good until number 6. at that point it turned into opinion stated as fact - and that shit annoys the hell out of me.

#6 - oiling the food vs oiling the grate. Each have their purpose. Sometimes it's better to oil the food. Sometimes it's better to oil the grate. There is no right or wrong here

#7 - really? length of tongs? If there are idiots out there who think that the longer the tongs the better, they deserve to drop their brats (which is probably the only thing they grill)

#8 - never put fish directly on the grill!? This statement if full of bullshit and logical fallacies. I look using cedar planks too, but putting fish directly on the grates doesn't make the fish taste 'fishy'

#9 - fall off the bone ribs. One of my biggest pet peaves is the bbq snobbery that calls fall off the bone ribs 'overdone' and turns their nose at them. For starters - the term 'done' when it comes to food is a gray area. The only true, noise free, opinion free way to define the word 'done' is by using temperature - and that temperature would be the temp at which the meat is safe to eat. In which case, 145 would be "done" for ribs. This means that even ribs that pass the 'bend test' are "overdone", you snobs. Good Q is a matter of opinion. Some like ribs with bite. Some like fall off the bone. Shunning one way or the other is a bitch move.

#10 - trimmed vs untrimmed brisket - this is just utter bullshit too. There are competition teams that trim all the fat off their brisket and do very well. I've done it both ways and had great results both ways. (And i've also totally hosed briskets both ways)

the author of that article should seriously choke on a spiral cut hot dog.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:26:45 PM »
Okay, but what do you really think ??  :)
Btw I'm with you 100% on the ribs, they're done when they're where my wife and daughters want them which is falling off the bone. 

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »
Well said Troy!

I made some pork ribs today that were falling apart. My wife likes them that way, and I think they are fine. Personally I like them with a little tooth and pork butts falling apart. In either case I always enjoy them.  :)

BTW, I don't really think I will even foil them next time they came out so nice before the foil. Stay tuned! ;)

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »
Exactly, when my ribs are fall off the bone they are always moist as fuck.  So how the fuck are they overdone.  Kiss my ass kcbs. 

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 03:45:40 AM »
Yeah I've never understood how this KCBS got elected as the authority. Of course I'm from Texas, home of the contrarian BBQ'er

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
Of course I'm from Texas, home of the contrarian BBQ'er
Hey, so am I! I am a mesquite addict! I usually use an oak fruit mix on pork. Mesquite is my main for chicken and seafood because of the citrusy flavor it adds. I mainly use oak on tri tips, but mesquite also adds an excellent flavor to them. I cook outside the box.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 09:47:52 PM »
I'll give mesquite another try. I haven't used it since I discovered the thin blue magic smoke technique.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 07:32:48 AM »
I'll give mesquite another try. I haven't used it since I discovered the thin blue magic smoke technique.
Please share the technique Troy. ??? I started using mesquite for mexican dishes mainly and then it progressed from there.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:03:52 AM »
I fixed your link.

The content was good until number 6. at that point it turned into opinion stated as fact - and that shit annoys the hell out of me.

#6 - oiling the food vs oiling the grate. Each have their purpose. Sometimes it's better to oil the food. Sometimes it's better to oil the grate. There is no right or wrong here

#7 - really? length of tongs? If there are idiots out there who think that the longer the tongs the better, they deserve to drop their brats (which is probably the only thing they grill)

#8 - never put fish directly on the grill!? This statement if full of bullshit and logical fallacies. I look using cedar planks too, but putting fish directly on the grates doesn't make the fish taste 'fishy'

#9 - fall off the bone ribs. One of my biggest pet peaves is the bbq snobbery that calls fall off the bone ribs 'overdone' and turns their nose at them. For starters - the term 'done' when it comes to food is a gray area. The only true, noise free, opinion free way to define the word 'done' is by using temperature - and that temperature would be the temp at which the meat is safe to eat. In which case, 145 would be "done" for ribs. This means that even ribs that pass the 'bend test' are "overdone", you snobs. Good Q is a matter of opinion. Some like ribs with bite. Some like fall off the bone. Shunning one way or the other is a bitch move.

#10 - trimmed vs untrimmed brisket - this is just utter bullshit too. There are competition teams that trim all the fat off their brisket and do very well. I've done it both ways and had great results both ways. (And i've also totally hosed briskets both ways)

the author of that article should seriously choke on a spiral cut hot dog.

Yep, they had me until #'s 7-9 too. The rib issue really bugs me too. I've heard Steve Raichlen on his BBQ U show say that if ribs are fall off the bone they were probably boiled first. That pissed me off enough to not watch his show again >:(

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
Is this what they mean by "sterilizing the grate" ?

The tong thing is just daffy...I use very long, wide head salad tongs & can pick up 12 lbs. of meat
( or vegetables, but vegetables usually don't weigh that much ) with one arm, not hand, arm....

The rib thing is goofy... just have them as you like...
I like 'em so I can get the meat up to my mouth using the bone, so not really 'fall off the bone'
Using the bone as a tool, so to speak...use of tools, it's what separates us from the great apes, sort of....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 07:02:35 AM »
Hmm, I didn't know Weber did fire pits in the kettle style ;)