Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wow, what a day, Me STUPID! *** Updated ***  (Read 10986 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Wow, what a day, Me STUPID! *** Updated ***
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »
Day started out with a fellow WKC member and me making a trade. I have a work in progress...I have the S/S cart, but in need of all the rest, other than the bowl and lid. Great to see some of the stable leaving, knowing there are going to a resort in upper MN. I guess the resort owner has seen the light.

I finish up mowing and start Pepper Stout Beef. Run to the store, check the Red S/S, all fine. Wife says, lets go for a bike ride. K...Finish the Stout pan. Go on the ride, she said let's go here. Okay, We head into a neighborhood a mile a way. Go east for a while. "Honey", we better start heading north. Have know idea where we are, but know we are heading north home. Now this is where Itis kicks in. I like to hunt, but I also road hunt Webers... We pass a house, I say "Honey, we have to stop, that is a rare Weber in the driveway up there." Seriously, " she says! I did! gentleman was in his garden. I say sir, " Can I bother you? I see you have a Weber grill and it appears to be old." "No problem, my fiance wants it gone.(He is just shy of 70) It was his deceased wife's grill, he doesn't doesn't know how old, maybe 20 years he says. I told him I collect them for a hobby and said it is 57/58. He didn't realize how long they had it.

He said it still works, been sitting outside all these years and was hit by a car... As we approach the grill, I am in jaw dropping awe... It is a Wood Dale! (I knew that from the street) It does have a leg holder dented up... The handles have a hole on the top. I think they were on both sides. Had the U shape holder with clips. The wheels, Metal and SKINNY. Smaller than training wheels, original and all white. The vents, they are square tab. Legs must be chrome, as they are sloghtly rusted.

The bad!!! I get blocks away and look at my bride a say " I am F'n STUPIID!" I was up upfront close and personal with a rare find and didn't take a picture...

My only saving grace, he is going to talk to his fiance, as she want it gone. It is a memory for him for the wife he lost.
He has my number, but tomorrow, I am going to stop and ask for a picture, Another good, he has an 18 BBQ in the rafters. He told me he had a bigger one in the garage, it was the BBQ Kettle, Heart was flutering big time. Thank God it wasn't a flat top 26 inch RED... Hopefully I will have a good update in the near future. Just had to share today.

It would look so nice next to this and different.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:13:09 PM by glrasmussen »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Wow, what a day, Me STUPID!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »
How sweet would that be to score both of those bad boys. Good luck Greg!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
I'm hoping Karma is on my side. I have to stop tomorrow, even if it just for a picture. I showed him a picture of the one  above, "Your is so shiney". I told him I would respect his and make it shiney. We will see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:52:40 PM by glrasmussen »

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
Awesome greg, one of the better posts I have read recently.  hope it all goes well!

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
Great find, love that it was just randomly stumbled upon.

Good Luck with it, let us know how you go.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 06:15:21 PM »
Karma should definitely be on your side! Good luck!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
What a find! I hope you are able to get it. I know it would be in a good home in your care.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:18:26 PM »
Great story....Good luck!! so he has three old kettles? 

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »
Great find, love that it was just randomly stumbled upon.

Good Luck with it, let us know how you go.

Ken

Kendoll, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. I can only hope this is my acorn. My inspriation to this hobby is not only my pation, but to the WKC motto, and dedicated to my son. I can only hope he is working it out for me above.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:54:41 PM by glrasmussen »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
Great story....Good luck!! so he has three old kettles?

Two, the BBQ 18 is in the rafters in the garage. He told me he had a bigger one in the garage. It was the 18. Both are the New Red... ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:36:49 PM by glrasmussen »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
The Karma Torch is thrown your way!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Wow, what a day, Me STUPID!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
Glad you took that ride! Truly happy to read this. That grill will go to a good home and her memory will be alive every time someone asks you about it.  Great job!

The question I'm pondering to myself is: do we love these grills for the looks/function? Or do we love them for their heritage and what they brought to the previous owners lives. They all have a story to tell, even new ones start their journey when you open the box.. The next owner will hopefully continue the tradition.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
The Karma Torch is thrown your way!  8)

Thanks AJ! Been a rough ride lately. Had a friend go down last week and going to another tomorrow a.m. I believe good things happen to people that are patient at this hobby. ;) Just a bike ride away, if I don't get it. I have seen it, that counts. I have seen the "Great Pumpkin" too. I am blessed in just a year of this hobby. Not many that have been doing this for longer me, have seen what I have seen or had in possenion. This is not an EGO thing, but I have been so fortunate, if not for this sight, I would't have seen what is part of Americana!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
Glad you took that ride! Truly happy to read this. That grill will go to a good home and her memory will be alive every time someone asks you about it.  Great job!

The question I'm pondering to myself is: do we love these grills for the looks/function? Or do we love them for their heritage and what they brought to the previous owners lives. They all have a story to tell, even new ones start their journey when you open the box.. The next owner will hopefully continue the tradition.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."

CS, I have not purcahsed a new grill. But I think your correct, that they are the start of a story.

I try to get a story from each grill. The only one I don't is the Wood Dale I have in my possesion. It was a younger person that it was gifted to. Saddens me... As all the others I own, they have a story.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
Well, if you haven't contacted any sellers in other areas to tip them off and tell them their items are worth a bunch of money to screw up a deal, if you haven't told someone they they should sell something on eBay to make more money in an effort to block other buyers.  If you haven't cockblocked a deal to sneak a grill out from someplace far away, then yes you will have good Karma.  I hear a lot of people say they have nothing in their area, and that's why they need to behave badly, and alienate other members, it's because they have bad Karma.  They have to do unscrupulous things to get what they want.  They lie, they cheat and act like assholes.  I don't care to read about the items they got...I stay away from things like that, I have no desire to have that bad mojo around me.  Those people need to screw over other people to get what they want, because they are morally bankrupt.  Thus giving themselves more bad Karma.  GL, you making this connection is what it's about.   It's about the story, it's about the journey, it's about the passion.  It's not about whoever dies with the most toys wins.   Even if this deal doesn't go your way, which, I bet it will, Karma is on your side.......
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X