Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weberitis!  (Read 21067 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Weberitis!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »
This could be therapeutic or disastrous, depending on who has your password....

I got a red Seville from a real estate agent ( it was a estate sale where the homeowner had passed away) who had to meet with the Uship driver, who took it to my friends sister house, who stored it for a year until I could pick it up.  I bought a red Sequoia from British Columbia, where the seller had to drive it to the US and put it on a bus to Atlanta, GA.  I once saw a picture of a light blue Imperial (1963) on Flicka. I contacted the photographer who took the picture over two years ago at a antique store.  She could not remember the name of the store, only the city it was in.  I called and emailed the picture to 8 different antique stores before I got a lead.  The store owner remembered the grill, but the man who rented the booth from her was no longer there.  But I had his name and was able to find another antique store he was at.  He had not sold it but lent the grill to his son to use.  In the end I bought the grill but the process took 7-8 months.  I have left notes multiple times on homeowners houses that have vintage Webers in the backyard.  I have found Smokey Joe Gold in the middle of I 20, and a red Smokey Joe in a land fill.   My this is fun.

Damn!  :o    Let's see some pics of these!

Craig

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
I am afraid I'm not as smart as my smart phone, or my 9 year old.  I do have some pictures on my phone but do not know how to get them to this post.  Any tech savvy club members with some advice would be helpful.  Thanks.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »
I use the site Imageshack to host pics of the grills. If you have an Android or an iPhone, you can create an imageshack account and load the pics from your phone to the site. Thats how I do it, now as for everyone else.....

Craig

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
OK, so I go to imageshack, set up an account, then send photos from phone to imageshack.  Then how to I get the pictures from imageshack to this post?  Thanks

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:11 PM »
OK, so I go to imageshack, set up an account, then send photos from phone to imageshack.  Then how to I get the pictures from imageshack to this post?  Thanks

I just sent you a message to your inbox explaining how I upload pics. I hope this will help.  ;)

Craig

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
Thanks, I'll take a look at it. 

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 03:56:49 AM »
This could be therapeutic or disastrous, depending on who has your password....

I got a red Seville from a real estate agent ( it was a estate sale where the homeowner had passed away) who had to meet with the Uship driver, who took it to my friends sister house, who stored it for a year until I could pick it up.  I bought a red Sequoia from British Columbia, where the seller had to drive it to the US and put it on a bus to Atlanta, GA.  I once saw a picture of a light blue Imperial (1963) on Flicka. I contacted the photographer who took the picture over two years ago at a antique store.  She could not remember the name of the store, only the city it was in.  I called and emailed the picture to 8 different antique stores before I got a lead.  The store owner remembered the grill, but the man who rented the booth from her was no longer there.  But I had his name and was able to find another antique store he was at.  He had not sold it but lent the grill to his son to use.  In the end I bought the grill but the process took 7-8 months.  I have left notes multiple times on
homeowners houses that have vintage Webers in the backyard.  I have found an 18.5 Jumbo Joe in the middle of I 20, and a red Smokey Joe in a land fill.   My this is fun.

A light blue Sequoia????  Thats not an original color is it?  I've NEVER seen that before.  You must post some pics.  You're gonna fit in great at this site ReillyRanch!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »
Hey Jeff,  glad everything worked out OK with you.  It was a light blue Imperial, similar to one just sold on eBay.  Mine is a little rougher looking.  I will work on posting pictures Friday, when I can sit in front of a regular computer, and not try to figure it out using a moble phone.  I could send something now using a email address. 

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 04:25:09 AM »
I have what I call my "Craigslist Retrieval Range" for Free or Cheap Weberitis items.  I work nights and try to schedule a pick up in the morning after 7AM on my way home from work and try to limit my drive to @ 15 mile radius, we're talking Free to cheap here and I can usually live without the item if it doesn't work out. If its something I really can't live without, like the 2011 22" WSM I will drive a little farther and offer a bit more $$ to insure I end up with it, but @ 40 miles is tops for me.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 05:47:40 AM »
last fall i saw a red stainless performer posted near my house for 40 bucks.
I immediately emailed her, but she was very picky as to pick up times. Between 12pm and 4pm was the only window.

The problem was, i didn't have a car that it'd fit in. And my wife was already in a bad mood.
I 'took a coworker to lunch' that day (he happened to have a truck).

We stopped to get the grill, and the husband was there. He told me that he LOVED the grill, but his wife is apparently allergic to grilled foods. He then told me he only used kingsford mesquite charcoal, and he always added additional mesquite wood to make everything nice and smokey. I immediately understood how his wife was 'allergic'.

He then told me that she was supposed to list the grill for $140, not 40. But he said since I was there already, he'd let me have it for $80.
I looked him dead in the eye, held out $40 bucks in cash, and told him, "I'm taking this grill. Here's your 40. You can call the cops if there's a problem with that"

His wife stepped in and said 40 was fine.

I was so pumped up on adrenaline that i dumped all the shitty mesquite kingsford from the bin in their driveway before loading the grill into the truck. (I realize this was a dick move, i feel kinda bad about it now)

The grill had a rusted ash catcher bracket - so i replaced the system with the newer ring and bucket. I also needed to replace a regulator ($17 at menards)

It currently serves as my garage cooker. I roll it out in the driveway when I smoke. It serves as a workstation and a grill. I love it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »

I looked him dead in the eye, held out $40 bucks in cash, and told him, "I'm taking this grill. Here's your 40. You can call the cops if there's a problem with that"

His wife stepped in and said 40 was fine.

I was so pumped up on adrenaline that i dumped all the shitty mesquite kingsford from the bin in their driveway before loading the grill into the truck. (I realize this was a dick move, i feel kinda bad about it now)

:o WOW!! I probably would have waited until I was around the corner from their house to dump the crappy k coal, but oh well! These are some great stories!

Craig

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 08:13:04 PM »
I just gotta know. What's wrong with mesquite K? If you are a fan of regular KB how different could it be? ??? 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 07:27:24 AM »
i'm not a fan of kingsford blue either :P

i'm not really a fan of mesquite wood. it gets used very rarely at my house.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
I just gotta know. What's wrong with mesquite K? If you are a fan of regular KB how different could it be? ???

Truth-be-told, I've never used mesquite K. Just K blue. I've used mesquite wood chunks and I like them, i tried hickory chunks and havn't acquired the taste yet.

Craig

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Hoping it's not bad form to move up an older post, but I was reading the stories here ~~~> WOW !!!

Does the term "Extremist" ever get bandied about ??

I've found people call me that behind my back and/ or to my face, I just really don't care anymore

I had one guy on another forum tell me: "Don't worry, you're still 4 or 5 kettles away from being  'That creepy guy down the street with all the Webers' "

Most all of mine have been free, or $10-15.....

The most recent was this, early last week ~~~>

( Reprint from TSR, I type with one finger so this saves a bit of time for other things)

I'm walking the dawgs, like I do every day........

& somebody's ( I think ) getting evicted from a rental RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER......

Complete accquisition: 4 minutes.....

Brand new 18-1/2"
Used maybe 5-10 times from the looks of it.....

Missing charcoal grate, which I have brand new spares....

Sorry, I'm not letting it go to the dump, even if it's only a new black one....

Another recent one....

My brother calls abt. 11:00Am on a day when I'm doing a mountain of apps for my friends 50th birthday...

And tells me there's two red ketlles with some other stuff that looks kinda neat way across town by his place at a yard sale.......
So, I throw on another load of 'turds & zap over to find & snag these ~~~>

Two fairly beat redheads...
One complete skewer setup, good shape....
Two full corn racks, rusty / cakey....
$18 for one $22 for the other...

Made the birthday party in time & the wife mad at "MORE WEBERS"

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"