Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Customizing 22" OTG  (Read 11262 times)

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Customizing 22" OTG
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
Very well done. I like the mods on this. Now I want one just to play with color and mods.

ccoiv

• Smokey Joe
Customizing 22" OTG
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »
I say go for broke and paint the thermo bezel yellow too. Lol

I was thinking about doing just that.

ccoiv

• Smokey Joe
Customizing 22" OTG
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
Very sharp, Steeler fans would love it!
Damn, now I need to find a sticker...

pyrate

• Smokey Joe
Re: Customizing 22" OTG
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »
I see a black and gold mod for my new performer
just in time for the Saints Season

Why is the rum always gone

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
Very sharp, Steeler fans would love it!

Being married to a Stiller native, I would have to agree.  Which is exactly why she'll never see this thread.  lol
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
That is freaking awesome!  What kind of paint did you use on the ash tray parts?

ccoiv

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
That is freaking awesome!  What kind of paint did you use on the ash tray parts?

The night before I started painting we made pizza on my Performer. I purposely jacked the temp as high as I could get it, close to 600 on the lid thermo. After it ran at this temp for 30 minutes or so I started to lay hands on the ash catcher pieces. While warm to the touch they were not "hot" so I decided on regular krylon. I primed everything in white. I am going to let everything "bake" in the sun for at least a week before using it. I have some concerns with the edges of the ash bucket chipping.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 04:23:11 PM »
I know this isn't a 22, but seeing as my mate will only be doing small cooks for him and his bride, and he will be living in an apartment, the 18 will be a better fit.

I started of with some 1 inch alloy tube and some copper sleeves. I cut the ends of some original legs and fitted them to the 1 meter tube using the copper fittings as ferrules.

I then used a triangle of a 22 to give a wider stance.

I used a pipe cutter to trim the length of the legs. And we were nearly there.

These last two pictures will show the height difference between the new raised 18 and a standard 18. As well as against my lowered and modded 18 firepit.

Now I think I will mess around with some colours on the ash can and ring.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Customizing 22" OTG
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
Very nice jocool! Nothing like a redhead with a great set of long legs...

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »

The night before I started painting we made pizza on my Performer. I purposely jacked the temp as high as I could get it, close to 600 on the lid thermo. After it ran at this temp for 30 minutes or so I started to lay hands on the ash catcher pieces. While warm to the touch they were not "hot" so I decided on regular krylon. I primed everything in white. I am going to let everything "bake" in the sun for at least a week before using it. I have some concerns with the edges of the ash bucket chipping.

ccoiv, keep us posted as to how the ash ring fares over time.  I could definitely think of a few ways to jazz up a black 22 if the paint will hold.
Uncommon sense seeker

ccoiv

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
That is one rocking redhead Jocool!!!

OGlenn, I will let you know. I am trying to be patient and not screw around with it for a few more days but its getting harder all the time. I'm hoping that the paint sets up and bonds great. My real concern is on the lever for the cleaning system. It seems to rub along the slot it is inserted into and may chip the paint there. I am looking for something to act as a buffer between the two. Thinking maybe a rubber grommet slid over the lever to act almost like a bearing.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
I am looking for something to act as a buffer between the two. Thinking maybe a rubber grommet slid over the lever to act almost like a bearing.

Or a black nylon bushing.  It seems it would slide better, and since the bushings alre longer, if it slips out of place a bit it will still work.