Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Don't throw away that old Weber!  (Read 12280 times)

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
Don't throw away that old Weber!
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:22 AM »
I picked this 18.5 Weber One Touch Silver a couple months ago out of my neighbors trash for FREE.  It was in rough shape, grates were rusty, couple dents and scratches, but still an overall good grill.  I used it a few times and the vents finally gave up.  So I forked out around $30 for a new ash sweeper, ash catcher, hinged grate and charcoal grate.  Now I basically have a new grill that will last a long time.

Yeah, these have seen better days.

Replacing the sweeper is straight forward, even if the wing nut snaps off like mine did.

Drill out the old screw and the whol assembly pops out.

Pop in the new assembley, tighten the wing nut and that's all there is to it.

Add in new charcoal grate, cooking grate and ash pan and the grill is new again.

Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Re: Don't throw away that old Weber!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:48:01 AM »
Awesome!   Sadly a lot of things people toss can be fixed up.  That second picture there....how did you remove it?  I picked up an 18.5 for five bucks!!!!  But, I can't budge the sweeper at all. 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »
Awesome!   Sadly a lot of things people toss can be fixed up.  That second picture there....how did you remove it?  I picked up an 18.5 for five bucks!!!!  But, I can't budge the sweeper at all.
If the sweeper is good, just use a lot of WD40 and work it back and forth. It might loosen up and you might not have to remove it and buy another.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
If the sweepers are just stuck they should free up with just dawn dish soap and water.

When they are toast like larry's I take a grinder and cut the handle off on each side of the nut and then just tap it down through the inside of the kettle. I don't drill anything out. More than one way to skin a cat.

I prefer installing the stainless H pattern sweepers. They are a little more difficult to remove if you plan on re-using it, but after you've done one its actually pretty easy.
#grubdubs

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
I just replaced my sweeper assembly (H pattern) on my Blue and she is as good as new :)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »
I just replaced my sweeper assembly (H pattern) on my Blue and she is as good as new :)

Okay, now I feel like a Caveman.  What are the H design you speak of?
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »
The H pattern i think refers to the clip that holds the blades together under the kettle and then you insert the handle thru the hole and snap it in place to lock it together, no wing nut or other hardware to assemble.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »
The H pattern i think refers to the clip that holds the blades together under the kettle and then you insert the handle thru the hole and snap it in place to lock it together, no wing nut or other hardware to assemble.

Has anyone ever had to replace a rusted out H pattern yet? Or are those too new? I can only find the thunbscrew kind.

Craig

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
OK, the "H" design was installed on Performers and the newer Golds.  They are made of SS and so they rarely corrode out.
They do get worn and beat over use, so replacing them becomes a necessity at some point.
They are harder to remove, but once you learn the trick, its quite easy.

Here's a pic:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:56:07 PM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
I haven't had to replace one for being trashed/rusted out. But I've had to remove them and bend them back down. One of the grills I got had a fin bent up so bad the charcoal grate was sitting on it.
#grubdubs

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 04:43:09 AM »
Next time just cut the sweep handle on both sides of the hex fitting and it will drop right out-no need to drill the thumbscrew.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 06:48:18 AM »
Next time just cut the sweep handle on both sides of the hex fitting and it will drop right out-no need to drill the thumbscrew.
That's what I do, but with a sawzall.

I do find sometimes you can load it up with WD40 and after it sits for a while use a channel locks on the large end of the handle and twist it out. It works unless it's really rusted and has become a part of it. I have also knocked them out with a hammer and hole punch.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
OK, the "H" design was installed on Performers and the newer Golds.  They are made of SS and so they rarely corrode out.
They do get worn and beat over use, so replacing them becomes a necessity at some point.
They are harder to remove, but once you learn the trick, its quite easy.

Here's a pic:

well then whats the trick?
got a green DD i want to take out and put in red one touch plus
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »
First, clean any crud around the H washer where the rod goes throgh it.
Then wedge a small screw driver between the rod and the washer. Then twist it until it pulls out.
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »
thanks that was quick
will do it tomorrow
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER