Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM - CB 22.5 inch stainless steel high air flow coal ring  (Read 9355 times)

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
WSM - CB 22.5 inch stainless steel high air flow coal ring
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »
I new to cooking with a WSM, doing my fifth cook with it now. Last cook I finally able to maintain temps and have decided to order the Cajun Bandit SS replacement door and 3/8" grommets.

What does the stainless steel high air flow coal ring do for me?

I don't feel I need it but do not have the experience with the WSM that many of you do, so I'm wondering do I order the WSM bundle package or just order the items I want.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: WSM - CB 22.5 inch stainless steel high air flow coal ring
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »
There's not a lot of WSM chatter on this site, but a few of us are big fans.  :)
Here's mine with a few custom touches including the SS door.   ;D

During my research, I found the grommet mods aren't for me.  Personally, I found the slot to be way easier to use and went that route.  Not a single ounce of me wished 1) I used grommets instead 2) didn't take a grinder to my WSM

Back to your original question....  The SS high flow ring has larger holes and it's larger in diameter so it'll hold more charcoal.
All I ordered was the SS door.  Don't look at the $16 shipping cost, just look at the overall picture of $48 for the door.  It's worth it.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »
I really like that 22 Bman! Can I have a closer look at the side handles. That logo make it look first class. Do those slots double as roti/therms?

I am looking for a CB 18.5 door if anyone has one.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:25:55 PM »
Duke - the full thread can be found at the alphabet site here - http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37348-The-typical-mods-plus-a-few-I-haven-t-seen-done
The slot is just for the Maverick probe wires.  I'm still waiting on Cajun Bandit to make the skewers for their roti set-up before I order that package.  :D
I used these handles from Home Depot -
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202033978?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=black+handle&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202033978#.UfQsTI2G2Sp

[imghttp://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/18/18ca7882-5ceb-4338-80d4-b6d9419b3d78_300.jpg[/img]http://.

And this is what they look like mounted up.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
I may end up cutting the same slots in my WSM. I bought the garage door handle mod handles and then realized it is just for the 18 so I will mount them sideways in new holes.

I have the stainless door but I love that paint job. I may have to do the same.

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:00:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!
-----

Do you have a link where I can order that Weber decal you have on the SS door?
-----

Here are the handles I put on the WSM, they are off an old Master built smoker I scrapped for parts.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: WSM - CB 22.5 inch stainless steel high air flow coal ring
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 07:01:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!
-----

-----

Paint, I think
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:04:20 AM by edhead35 »

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 07:19:07 AM »

edhead is right - it's paint.  Basically, thread can be found here.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/finally-built-my-miniwsm/

If you look at the 22" WSM next to the mini-wsm, you'll see the paint on the SS door is nothing more than the reverse of the mini.

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 08:16:03 AM »

edhead is right - it's paint.  Basically, thread can be found here.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/finally-built-my-miniwsm/

If you look at the 22" WSM next to the mini-wsm, you'll see the paint on the SS door is nothing more than the reverse of the mini.

Thanks for the link... and nice work on the paint work on the logo's!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
WSM - CB 22.5 inch stainless steel high air flow coal ring
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
I have both the SS door and high flow charcoal ring. I do like both, but if you have to choose the door wins,
Here is the stock ring inside of the CB high flow ring.

As you can see it is a tad bigger. Also, on the earlier 22 in WSM, the vents would bump into grate during adjustment ie the charcoal grate set a little too low. The CB ring has these tabs that elevate it enough to solve this problem. I think weber has since corrected this, but I do use it for long cooks as it is bigger than the stock ring.
Also, the CB ring has tabs that the charcoal grate rests on. You grab the CB ring and the grate comes with it. If you want more picks, I can go take a few that help explain a little better.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:53:04 AM by Bbqmiller »

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 11:23:38 AM »
The picture and your explanation help quite a bit Bbqmiller, thanks!

My WSM is a 2012 model, so far I am happy with the ring. I did use strapping wire to affix it to the charcoal grate so during clean up I just grab the ring and the grate are one piece and also so my ring is always centered on the grate with no chance of it moving to the side.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
I new to cooking with a WSM, doing my fifth cook with it now. Last cook I finally able to maintain temps and have decided to order the Cajun Bandit SS replacement door and 3/8" grommets.

What does the stainless steel high air flow coal ring do for me?

I don't feel I need it but do not have the experience with the WSM that many of you do, so I'm wondering do I order the WSM bundle package or just order the items I want.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Other than being able to hold a whole 22lb bag of Kingsford briqs, the High flow ring was designed to sit on the charcoal grate holder bolts thereby raising the height above the vent holes which were prone to closing or clogging with ash accumulation on the Gen1 22" WSM. A monumental design flaw on Weber's part and quietly redesigned as the Gen2.

I have both models and before Cajun Bandit came out with the fix, I had modified mine with a piece of round stock drilled out as a spacer raising the chargrate above the vent holes.

So here is the ring and the tabs that raise the grate height.

So if you have the new WSM (arched doorway in C-section) then the ring holds more charcoal than the stock ring, if you have the Gen1 and are unaware of the mod-then this ring is for you as well. The Bundle is the best way to go!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »
Thanks for the extra detailed explanation, swamp...