Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Educate a southern boy on brats  (Read 4227 times)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Educate a southern boy on brats
« on: August 19, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
I can do just the standard grill turn and repeat. I've cooked many a link sausage , Praseks, Renfros, Holmes Brothers, Conecuh, you name it but they're a little different animal. What I want to know more about is beer baths and all the other tweaks you guys who grew up around brats have.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Re: Educate a southern boy on brats
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
I  have eaten a lot of brats and for me the way I like them best is indirect for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the temperature.  Some people boil them in beer and onions, but in my humble opinion I don't think it makes them better and is a waste of good beer.  It is kind of like boiling ribs before cooking.  It seems people in the Midwest love doing things like this.  I usually will add smoke to the fire either apple or peach wood.  The next day they taste even better. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
Poke about 12-14 holes with a toothpick, then I soak mine in a beer, mustard and chili powder marinade for a couple hours, then grill them indirect (usually) for about 30 min or so, but if i'm in a hurry on a busy weeknight, I do cook them direct. Sometimes I switch it up and soak 'em in Lee and Perrins worchestershire sauce. They come out tender and moist!

Craig

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
i give mine a few minutes direct, and then move to indirect to finish cooking (about 30 minutes)

I don't piss around with the beer bath unless i'm grilling 20+ brats

if i'm only grilling for myself or my immediate family, i like to cut the brats in half lengthwise after they've cooked  a bit, that way i can get some color in the inside (plus i'm not a fan of taking a bite and having hot juice shoot into my mouth. and yes, i realize how funny that sounds)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »
I was thinking that, just didn't want to say it.
Thanks for the feedback, sounds kinda like what I do with boudin down here.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
Poke about 12-14 holes with a toothpick, then I soak mine in a beer, mustard and chili powder marinade for a couple hours, then grill them indirect (usually) for about 30 min or so, but if i'm in a hurry on a busy weeknight, I do cook them direct. Sometimes I switch it up and soak 'em in Lee and Perrins worchestershire sauce. They come out tender and moist!

Craig

This, but beer and onions. Keep the marinade cold near the grill and every so few min take the hot brats off and dunk them in the cold beer then put em back on, cook, dunk repeat until done. Usually indirect with smoke if I'm drinking or direct if I'm hurry up cooking for hungry people.
#grubdubs

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »
No beer bath.
No holes.
Just brats, direct over a low fire or indirect until they are a perfect mahogany color.
A little hickory, pecan, birch, or apple wood doesn't hurt either.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:46:48 PM »
Thanks for the indirect heat only advise guys, the family all commented on how good they were tonight.