Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seasoning A New Kettle  (Read 6077 times)

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
Seasoning A New Kettle
« on: July 08, 2024, 01:57:35 PM »
OK, please don't flame me for this, as this forum is geared mainly towards rescuing and restoring old Weber barbecues, but I am seeking your advice on how to season a brand new kettle.  I suppose the same could be used on a vintage kettle that had recently been cleaned though.  I could not resist taking advantage of my son's employee discount from Lowe's Home Improvement one last time before he resigned a few weeks ago, where I pulled the trigger on this 26" Master Touch in Smoke Grey.  I've read recently that a lot of you folks that have a 26" kettle really love them and feel that they are a staple to your collection.  I also picked up a Ravenna cover to go along with it.  I am impressed with the quality of both.  With respect to seasoning the kettle, and per the owners manual, "It is recommends that the grill be heated up and the fuel kept red hot with the lid on for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking for the first time to burn off any manufacturing residue."  That should take care of it, but I've seen on a few YouTube videos where people wipe everything down (bowl, lid, grates) with some cooking oil like canola or vegetable for the seasoning burn in.  Does anyone have their own/different technique?
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
Re: Seasoning A New Kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 02:21:51 PM »
No seasoning advice, but congratulations on your beautiful new grill! I love that color.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 02:52:30 PM »
Hot fire, as instructed,  no need for anything more. Go ahead and cook with those coals, no need to waste them. I've done it many times, and I'm still alive!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 02:52:59 PM »
And that's a beautiful grill , congratulations

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2024, 03:16:39 PM »
Agree with Joe, fire it up and cook away.  You will love cooking on that beauty…. So much space and versatility.  My Glen Blue is shined up and ready for our upcoming beach trip - will be its 3rd trip to the coast with us.  Oh, and not much if any flaming going on here.  I consider it a safe place for nice folks that just love to grill on a Weber.  Let’s see that first cook soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2024, 03:25:17 PM »
When are you guys heading to the beach ?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 03:32:48 PM »

When are you guys heading to the beach ?

Not that we’re counting down or anything…

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2024, 03:36:31 PM »
That's too funny, we will be back down late August to close on the house on SGI

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2024, 03:37:30 PM »

That's too funny, we will be back down late August to close on the house

Wow, congratulations! 

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2024, 03:05:37 AM »
No seasoning advice, but congratulations on your beautiful new grill! I love that color.

Thank you.  I definitely liked the Smoke Grey when I saw it.

Hot fire, as instructed,  no need for anything more. Go ahead and cook with those coals, no need to waste them. I've done it many times, and I'm still alive!

Glad for that, and will do.

And that's a beautiful grill , congratulations

also Thank you.

Agree with Joe, fire it up and cook away.  You will love cooking on that beauty…. So much space and versatility.  My Glen Blue is shined up and ready for our upcoming beach trip - will be its 3rd trip to the coast with us.  Oh, and not much if any flaming going on here.  I consider it a safe place for nice folks that just love to grill on a Weber.  Let’s see that first cook soon!

also Thank you
, and will do.  Have fun on your trip.
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2024, 04:20:44 AM »
Congrats on the new kettle.
You are gonna love it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2024, 06:50:47 AM »
Congrats on the new kettle.
You are gonna love it.

Thank you.  :)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2024, 10:45:17 AM »
How to season your new grill?  Why cook on it of course!   There are a cluster of videos on YouTube  some are very good, some not so much.  Best advice I can give you is relax, don't overthink it and enjoy!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2024, 03:46:07 PM »
How to season your new grill?  Why cook on it of course!   There are a cluster of videos on YouTube  some are very good, some not so much.  Best advice I can give you is relax, don't overthink it and enjoy!

Great advice.  Thank you.

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2024, 05:39:08 PM »
Yep no seasoning needed. Fire it up, vents wide open, typically I’ll go 20-30 minutes then shut her down and good to go. She’s a beauty!