Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Some pics and first impressions of the new Weber Traveler 17" Portable Griddle  (Read 17170 times)

SixZeroFour

We finally recieved a couple of the new 17" portable griddles yesterday so I had the chance to unbox and check it out. The unit is a bit heavier than expected (42lbs) but most of that weight is in the carbon steel griddle where it counts.

Quick first impressions: If the size and footprint work for you I think this is going to be a real winner. Solid build and form factor, although the lid could be dented if something heavy were stacked or dropped on top. That being said its heavier than the standard gas travellers lid and should do what its meant to do. Lid open cooking only.

Pros:
- Carbon Steel Griddle is high quality and heavy duty. Reinforced bottom side as well to prevent warping similar to stand alone models. 
- Love the integrated grease trap that direct drains into a front accessed drip try.
- Form factor feels great
- It's a Weber 8)

Cons:
- Despise the fake "brushed stainless" decal on the handle. Not sure what the thought process was there
- The propane bottle cage is a bit cheap and only hangs from some clips off the side of the grill. Not a big fan of this setup but not a deal breaker either as most will likely use a large tank.
- Lid is not flimsy but isnt HD either so if you plan to stuff away in an RV I wouldnt want to stack heavy items etc on top. Otherwise not an issue.

Overall I like it a lot and will likely be grabbing one myself once we get more stock. Perfect setup for camping / small backyard cooks IMO

Have a good weekend,

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
@SixZeroFour, thanks for the run down and pic gallery for the newer model.  Clean and new always gets me motivated to buy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
Nice write-up, Matt.  Thanks for taking the time to share these details and pics. (And your thoughts - I had to snicker at the decal comment.)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Thank you for this info!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Looks nice Matt, thanks for sharing.  Wow, 42 lbs!  Wondering if the refillable flame king lp cannisters will fit?  They do not fit and Weber Q I've had as they are a bit wider than the regular dark green ones.

Grate write-up......

SixZeroFour

Wondering if the refillable flame king lp cannisters will fit?  They do not fit and Weber Q I've had as they are a bit wider than the regular dark green ones.

@bamakettles Yes sir, they do fit

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador

Wondering if the refillable flame king lp cannisters will fit?  They do not fit and Weber Q I've had as they are a bit wider than the regular dark green ones.

@bamakettles Yes sir, they do fit

Ah, the flexible hose makes it possible.  Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

cdp8

• WKC Brave
Looks perfect for tailgating. Send the lid off to IPE to have coated with your alma mater's colors and logo.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
 @SixZeroFour
Matt, I appreciate the time you took for this detailed write-up.
If you have the chance, would you be able to do one on the 22"?
I have "pestered" my local retailer, and they're still on order.
I assume that you haven't got your hands on one, yet, either. 
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

SixZeroFour

@MacEggs

Nothing yet but will definitly post up similar details for the 22" once it shows up. We are being told April at this point but no firm ETA.