Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Caveman-Style Steak  (Read 1385 times)

steveh_131

• Smokey Joe
First Caveman-Style Steak
« on: July 18, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »
After checking out some cool food pr0n, I decided to try out a steak - caveman style!

I rubbed it down with some olive oil, kosher salt and garlic powder.  Got the lump charcoal blazing hot and laid it right down on top.  3 minutes per side and pulled it.

On the flip:

The inside:

Plated, with some veggies:

My wife enjoyed hers cooked normally, well-done....with BBQ sauce on it??  She walked into the room with BBQ sauce and I just stared in shock.   :'(

I made a few mistakes here.  First of all, it had a very bitter taste on the crust.  Did the garlic powder char and cause that?  Second mistake was pulling it off and wrapping it in foil while it sat.  It cooked to closer to medium than medium-rare in that foil  :(

Honestly, the bitter char taste made me prefer the flavor of my wife's steak.  I'm not sure that I will do this method again, but it was fun to try.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
First Caveman-Style Steak
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
When I have done these in the past I used coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I would think that the olive oil would burn so I would stay away from it.   Some one posted a video of the primal grill guy doing them. I used his method. So far all three times they have come out awesome. Everyone who tried them really liked them too.

Ethang

• Smokey Joe
Re: First Caveman-Style Steak
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »
I have only tried this method one time with my SIL. No oil and just Kosher salt and pepper. I would think that the garlic is what caused the bitter taste. Burned garlic is nasty.
The Weber is making it really hard to screw up dinner

Plastic has no soul

steveh_131

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
Yeah, I think it was the garlic.  No garlic or olive oil next time and it will probably be about perfect.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »
I did this before, I posted the results here but as others have said no olive oil, it burns.   If you have a nice enough cut of meat Salt and Pepper is all you need.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.