Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Propane tank replacement  (Read 1988 times)

jtreynolds61

• Happy Cooker
Propane tank replacement
« on: June 29, 2023, 02:20:21 PM »
I’m new here, so I hope I’m doing this right!
We have a late 90’s Performer Deluxe with the gas push-button start that I’m trying to clean up for the hubby. It’s mostly in great shape, but we still have the original propane tank. The Manchester tank that’s on it has a flat side so that it attaches to the hanger, and we can reach the gas knob easily through the opening. A new tank lacks the flat piece (it’s round), so we can’t hang the tank. We can sit the tank shelf, but then we have to reach down through the opening to reach the knob. Not a dealbreaker, but I thought I’d see what alternatives I might find here.  Thanks in advance!

SixZeroFour

Re: Propane tank replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 08:39:46 AM »
Hi and welcome!

Do you still have the original tank? You can usually have the tank re-certified and they are good for another 10 years... its not exactly cheap (sometimes the same cost of a new 5#) but will allow you to reuse the correct tank for the grill.

You will likely also need to adapt the quick connect style connection from the hose and regulator but its not a difficult task. There are replacement hoses that have the standard screw on fitting that would get you back up and running.

Take care
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 08:41:38 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jtreynolds61

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 09:09:58 AM »
Thanks! We have learned about the connection adapters. That’s the easiest and cheapest part. 😂 There is a place about an hour away that might recertify the tank for us, but since the tank is over 20 years old we thought maybe we should just replace it. The research continues …

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Propane tank replacement
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 09:36:50 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Nice grill, I have one just like it and went through the same process.  Ace Hardware carries the Manchester tank and the new connector for your regulator and you’ll have a clean install and not be hassled whenever you want to refill the tank.  Here’s some pics of my upgrade.  Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jtreynolds61

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 10:09:20 AM »
Bamakettles - THANKS!! I didn’t think the round top of the new tank would sit on the flat hanger without modifications, but your pictures prove me wrong! I’m so excited that it’s just that simple! Your set up is beautiful and looks brand new. Guess it’s time for us to clean ours up. 🤪 Thank-you, thank-you,  thank-you!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 11:51:51 AM »
You are very welcome.  Have fun with it!  Also you’ll need propane rated thread tape which they should also have.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

jtreynolds61

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 01:49:34 PM »
Got it! Now to wait for the weather to cool off just a tad so I can attack cleaning up the kettle and table. I knew ours needed it, but after seeing yours, I see we have a lot of work to do. Thanks again for making my first forum experience a great one!