Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spider Venom test run  (Read 32602 times)

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
Spider Venom test run
« on: February 19, 2023, 12:15:03 PM »
So far my test run is going well.
Just using Kingsford Professional in my Slow n Sear, just to see how it runs and to get used to it before an actual cook.
I decided to only light about 5 coals before filling the rest of it just to see how long it would take to reach my 250 target.
It started at 65 degrees, and the fan ran full blast until about 175. Took just under 15 minutes.
Fan shut off at 175 and it kept going up to about 300, and then cooled down to 250 after about 12 minutes.
It held almost perfectly steady at 250 except for a couple times where it jumped up to the mid 260s. I figured this was fresh coal lighting.
After about 3 hours I may have gone through less than 1/3 of the SnS.
I raised it to 275, and after an initial temp drop of about 25 degrees for about 2 minutes, it hit about 315 in under 4 minutes. About 12 minutes later it dropped down to 275 and is holding rock steady. Fan runtime, which I wish we could track, has been minimal. Quick burst here and there for about a minute.
I've been using my inkbird to back it up, and aside from them being a couple degrees off from each other, the temps have been tracking near identical.
So far I am really happy with this, and I have a brisket flat in my freezer that has been waiting near two months for this lol.
My only gripe so far, if you can call it that, would be a total lack of audible alarms for temps being reached of if they drop too far below the setpoint.
Visual alarms on the app are nice, but not very helpful unless I am watching my app the whole time.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 02:11:01 PM by bigjeffb »
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Spider Venom test run
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 03:50:19 AM »
very cool !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 05:03:40 AM »
Thanks for the write up.

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 12:57:52 PM »
I have the venom and ran an initial test in winter. I appreciate your info and will start pounding the tech to see if audible alerts can be done or if upgraded software from Spider Grills needs to be considered :-)  My only downside is their ambient probe connector is 3.5 millimeters and most other brands are smaller (I.e ink bird and Weber). I could find the 3.5 online to have a backup. I also have the S22 pellet attachment and it’s the same connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 06:05:13 PM »
I have the venom and ran an initial test in winter. I appreciate your info and will start pounding the tech to see if audible alerts can be done or if upgraded software from Spider Grills needs to be considered :-)  My only downside is their ambient probe connector is 3.5 millimeters and most other brands are smaller (I.e ink bird and Weber). I could find the 3.5 online to have a backup. I also have the S22 pellet attachment and it’s the same connector.

I've been meaning to update, but when I installed the latest firmware on the Venom that came out last month, I had nothing but issues with my app. I'm not sure how but somehow I got the pause push button on my app that nobody else seemed to have. After a few crashes, some lost data, and other glitches with the app only I decided to uninstall it and reinstall it. But now that I've reinstalled it, I am now having the same connectivity issues that everybody else was having with the app that I never had before. Very frustrating. Even more disappointing.
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 06:24:16 PM »
Ah, so I haven’t upgraded, thanks for the tip to NOT upgrade! Hope they fix for you and all of us!