Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My story, from Upstate New York :-)  (Read 236 times)

Jack Straw

• Happy Cooker
My story, from Upstate New York :-)
« on: May 15, 2022, 05:54:49 PM »
Hello Weber enthusiasts!

I am a new member located in Upstate New York near the Rochester/Canandaigua area. I had joined with the hope of learning more about the possibility of restoring my 1995 Weber Original kettle grill. This grill is far from special, but has some sentimental value to me since it's the first "real" grill I ever purchased for myself, and I bought it new in 1995. I do sincerely love these Weber kettles, but I'm going to be honest....... I'm not a purist. I love cooking, I love grilling and BBQ'ing, and since this first purchase I have tried MANY grills from charcoal to gas. I got an Akorn steel keg Kamado about 8 years ago, and loved it. I got a Louisiana Grills ceramic Kamado about four years after that, and that's currently my go to for most of my grilling, smoking, BBQ'ing needs. I kept the Akorn as a back up, to run one low-and-slow while the other is running hot for searing.

The Akorn is a great, entry-level Kamado, but they are known to rust, and, indeed, mine is very rusty (though works fine). I am now toying with the idea of building something of an outdoor grill island/station that would feature my ceramic Kamado, and I thought instead of the Akon, I would revive my 1995 Weber Kettle as the partner to my ceramic Kamado. My Weber kettle is in decent shape for it's age, there's some rust around where the legs go in, but other wise the kettle itself is decent. The top, date-stamped damper turns, but the bottom dampers are all frozen. The wooden handles are just about completely rotten out. I thought I could drill out the dampers, clean it real well, repaint it blue (that's right!), order new custom handles from Etsy and generic bottom dampers. I think the charcoal grill grate would be fine, I'd probably just replace the cooking grill, though mine could be cleaned and reused.

Long story short, I happened to find a 2014 Weber Deluxe (I believe) for a great price in really great shape. Obviously used, but not a stitch of rust. I'm pretty sure the original owner kept it in his garage, and only rolled it out to grill, then back in the garage. I was going to spend a fair amount to restore my 1995 Weber, and this grill has the upgraded ash catcher, the one-touch damper system, and more, so I grabbed it.

The wife is telling me I have too many grills and such and that something has to go, and she's right. I'm going to let the Akorn Kamado go, and I think I'm going to let my '95 Weber go too. I don't care so much about the Akron, but I'd like my Weber to go to someone who would appreciate it. Would anyone here be interested in my 1995 kettle? Is that old enough to be desirable to someone, or is it kind of in-between? Again, it does need some work, but it's not like it's in poor shape. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

-Jack

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 06:00:00 PM by Jack Straw »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My story, from Upstate New York :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 02:27:13 AM »
Welcome from Doraville, GA. I would keep them both, you shouldn't have to spend a whole lot of money refreshing your older Weber.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 02:31:41 AM »
Welcome from Richmond, VA! there is a section on this site for Member sales and trades. You could offer it up there to see if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 03:32:08 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, AL.  Since your ‘95 has some sentimental value, maybe try fixing it up a little at a time using restoration tips from this site.  It can be very rewarding.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 04:45:28 AM »
Hello from Asheville, NC.  Keep your ‘95 kettle.

Point at something to which she has sentimental attachment and tell her to get rid of it and see how that flies. 

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 08:18:41 AM »
Welcome from Kalona, IA. I always have regrets after getting rid of something that I have had for that long. You may be surprised how much fun it is restoring it and using it again like 25 years ago.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow