Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Painting Q lid  (Read 1097 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Painting Q lid
« on: September 20, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »
I scored another Q at a great price, but it is in bad shape. Outdoors for several years, grates are rusted, plastic body is covered in gunk (grease, calcification from sprinklers, pesticide sprays, etc.) and the inside of the box (and lid) have *never* been cleaned or covered.  I don't want to start in about the burner tube or drip tray.  ANYHOW.... thinking it would be great to repaint the lid a two-tone orange and white (Go Vols!), but can't find a high temp (1000F) spray paint. I don't mind flat colors, I'd just coat them after in high-temp clear for a glossy shiny look. 

Anyone try this before or know of a good orange stove / high heat paint?

TIA

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Painting Q lid
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:29:59 AM »
I've never painted one, but heard that high temp caliper paint could work.  I googled it and found quite a few orange offerings.....

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 09:55:53 AM »
Anyone try this before or know of a good orange stove / high heat paint?

https://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-flameproof-coating

They have a flat orange, and you are correct to recoat with hi-temp gloss clear.
I might suggest a different color scheme though.  Black and Gold.  GO MIZZOU!!   ;)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 11:12:11 AM »
Well, my alma mater is cardinal and gold (Fight On!), but that paint is hard to find in high-temp AND it's 2,000 miles away. Better to go with Orange and White and support the local team :-)

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 11:21:02 AM »
Well, my alma mater is cardinal and gold (Fight On!), but that paint is hard to find in high-temp AND it's 2,000 miles away. Better to go with Orange and White and support the local team :-)

The real USC!

Wildcats "Bear Down"

I support the local Orange and Blue. Which will be playing your local Orange and White this Saturday.

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »
Here we go...

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:27:53 AM by putoluto »

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »
More images. I tried to mask the Q area that I had VHT painted white. I used masking tape, then sealed the edges with a green liquid mask that issued in model making (hobby store), then tried to seal the edges of the masking tape (and the entire tape) in vaseline. Vaseline worked great back in the days when I had to spray dye pieces of leather that had a lot of brass buttons on them. The dye wiped right off the buttons when I was done, easy as can be. 

Anyhow, I thought I did a great job... until I peeled away the masking. Now it looks amateurish.  I should've painted the whole thing white first instead of just the top with the Q logo.  The bubbles you see lower left to the Q are really just little drip marks from when I shook the rattle can. Should've stepped a few feet away to do that.

It's getting cured right now (per VHT paint's instructions for aluminum sprayed with their "Flameproof" paints -located here: https://www.speco.com.au/vht_faq.html). I'll post up the final pix probably tonight. In the meantime, here are some in-progress pix from the masking and painting. I was hoping for more of a bright "Tennessee" orange and ended up with more of a burnt "Texas" orange.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm not happy about the results. It does past the 30 mph test thought - looks good when you're going by at 30 mph.  The rest of the grill looks brand new - FAR better than the disgusting grill that was sitting outside for years through the seasons and spiders and sprinklers and insecticides, etc.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 10:38:55 AM by putoluto »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »
I, not being a perfectionist in a lot of things, it ain't bad !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »
Okay, All done. I couldn't get the final VHT curing step done, it wouldn't get to 600F. Only got it to 572F. Should be okay.  Here're the final pix:

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »
Shoot, that would pass the 5mph test
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
Thanks JebIV, I put a ton of work into renewing that grill. Easy enough - just time consuming. I think I've got it pretty well down pat now.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 11:35:14 AM »
I like it!  Time for some Saturday Volunteer cooks on that beauty…..

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 12:36:20 PM »
This baby is getting stored until I find and set up a snowbird Florida house in a year or two.