Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Chips Size for Summit Kamado and How to Use?  (Read 165 times)

WaWaZat

• Smokey Joe
Wood Chips Size for Summit Kamado and How to Use?
« on: August 26, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »
Got a great recommendation for what looks to be an awesome resource for quality smoking wood! https://fruitawoodchunks.com/

Questions... looks like they have a few options for cuts... 2"x2, 3x3, 6x3 & 12x3. What size(s) would you recommend for a Summit Kamado?

Also, I see no one seems to soak their wood. Back in my vertical smoker days, it was recommended to soak smoking wood overnight, if possible. Is there a trend away from that? Why?

And finally, is it true the wood should go under the charcoal? If so, is that still true when replenishing during long cooks?
Summit Kamado S6 Charcoal Grill Center

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wood Chips Size for Summit Kamado and How to Use?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 02:16:39 AM »
for me I would think the 3x3 would be perfect for the Summit, I never soak wood chunks, on top when doing a snake for me, when I remember if I'm using my SNSXL I bury one chunk under the coals as well as on top. Just my useless 2 cents
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
Wood Chips Size for Summit Kamado and How to Use?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 04:16:23 AM »
You’re going to want the 3x3 or 2x2. The 12x3 and 6x3 splits are for an offset.

My bags are fairly random in size, some bigger and some smaller, but I would guess most are around the 3x3 size roughly. I find it nice to have some smaller bits in the bag for other smaller cooks on other grills.

I don’t soak chunks. Seems fairly universal not soaking chunks. Chips is where the debate seems to revolve, and I soaked a couple times and couldn’t keep temp, so the few times I use chips it’s dry as well.

Edit: I use a combination of on top and in the charcoal. Can’t say I’ve ever put any under per se

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Wood Chips Size for Summit Kamado and How to Use?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 06:18:20 AM »
If I use chips I always soak overnight, but I rarely use them, I don’t soak chunks. I also do soak cedar planks. I usually by my chunks at Walmart. Can’t think of brand name.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club