Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ahhhh, the Summer of WKC  (Read 2187 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Ahhhh, the Summer of WKC
« on: July 07, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
A favorite meal of ours following the 4th crab feast we host - if any crabs are left that is. Picked a pound of lovely leftover meat yesterday, and turned them into creole cakes tonight. Added to the heat with some jalapenos fresh from the garden. Plenty of Old Bay used for both. Set up was the trusty Performer, couple of small apple wood chunks, and a half+ chimney of coals set in the middle between two baskets.

Looking very good:

And a new local brew to make things extra nice:

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Ahhhh, the Summer of WKC
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
Great pictures Marty!

Please share the crab cake recipe. I have a few crabs my friend just caught and want to make cakes like that.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
looks like a damn good way to spend an afternoon.  Nice job Marty.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
It was really great! Stay tuned for the recipe Duke...

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Ahhhh, the Summer of WKC
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
Man that looks fabulous. That beer looks like a winner too! I love Dunkel.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »
OK, Duke, (and all) here's the formula:

You’ll need about 30 saltines; crush them until most have turned to dust, with a few larger pieces no bigger than a small pebble. Serve these crab cakes hot with lemon wedges and Rémoulade.

INGREDIENTS
2teaspoons vegetable oil plus 3 additional tablespoons
1/2 small onion, chopped fine
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped fine
1rib celery, chopped fine
1tablespoon garlic, minced
1 1/2pounds lump crabmeat, picked over for any shells
1 1/4cups crushed saltine crackers
1/4cup mayonnaise
1 large egg
2tablespoons heavy cream
1tablespoon dry mustard
1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate and refrigerate 5 minutes.

2. Transfer vegetables to large bowl. Stir in crabmeat and 3/4 cup cracker crumbs, being careful not to break up large pieces of crab. Whisk mayonnaise, egg, heavy cream, mustard, cayenne, and Worcestershire together in small bowl. Using spatula, fold into crab mixture. Divide into 8 portions and shape each into 1 1/4-inch-thick cake. Transfer to plate, cover, and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.

3. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Meanwhile, dredge crab cakes in remaining 1/2 cup cracker crumbs and press to adhere crumbs to cakes. Cook 4 crab cakes until well browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels and repeat with remaining crab cakes. Serve immediately.

DO NOT skip this Rémoulade!

Makes about 1 1/2 cups
This simple sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. It is an excellent accompaniment to the Creole Crab Cakes.

INGREDIENTS
1cup mayonnaise
1tablespoon whole grain mustard
1/4cup chopped dill pickles
1 scallion, sliced thin
1tablespoon lemon juice
1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
Stir mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, scallion, lemon juice, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste together in small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »
Thanks Marty! I love the flag too. ;)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Ahhhh, the Summer of WKC
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
I never get tired of looking at redheads..

That's a great cook and fantastic recipe,I will make that when I get to missing home really bad. Looks awesome!!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
Love crab. Nice work

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
I'm not much for crab cakes, but that looks really good.  My wife could tear that up!  Good lookin SS also...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Craig

• WKC Mod
Ahhhh, the Summer of WKC
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
I love crab, crab cakes, crab dip..... you name it! Thanks for the recipe and showing the awesome cook and grill photos! That's what it's all about!