Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for unbiased ratings: GGA vs Baby Q  (Read 508 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Looking for unbiased ratings: GGA vs Baby Q
« on: June 06, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »
Good morning Gents, been a while!

Firstly I’d like to set the basis for this question:

I’m well aware of the capabilities of the Baby Q. I’m a huge fan, own 3 and have recommended them dozens of times.

I own 7 CGA and know it’s capabilities and how much fun they are to cook on.

While I have a couple GGA, I’ve never cooked on one but in my mind it will suit a special case use IF it’s a capable cooker.

We’re boaters and I don’t want to bring charcoal on our relatively small 18 foot Robalo center console.

When we’re taking it to the beach, paled with coolers and beach chairs it gets tight.

So taking the more compact GGA in theory would fit the Bill (once again I come back to the “IF it’s an adequate cooker for burgers dogs and marinated chicken)

So in your estimation, if a Baby Q is a 10 on a compact grilling solution, where would you rate a GGA or would you not consider it a worthy option at all?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Looking for unbiased ratings: GGA vs Baby Q
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 05:06:31 AM »
I don’t have a baby Q for comparison, but just wanted to say I miss seeing your posts first thing in the morning.

…. And I think we need a pic of your Go-Anywhere lineup! 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 05:15:06 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Looking for unbiased ratings: GGA vs Baby Q
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 11:20:50 AM »
I'll be watching this thread.
Just picked up my first Q 1200 today

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
Following as well.  I have cooked on one of my GGAs once - burgers that were pretty much flavorless.  I’ve done one cook on my Q2100 - chicken that was really good.  I would think that like any other gas grill, the more you use them, the better the flavoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 03:21:26 AM »
I don’t have a baby Q for comparison, but just wanted to say I miss seeing your posts first thing in the morning.

…. And I think we need a pic of your Go-Anywhere lineup!

Hey buddy!  My CGA collection isn’t anything fancy. I just can’t pass them up when they pop up cheap on marketplace  ;D

They ARE super fun to cook on.  The Baby Q’s are fantastically designed, shocker I have a tough time not scooping those up on Marketplace as well.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 06:12:46 AM »

I’m well aware of the capabilities of the Baby Q. I’m a huge fan, own 3 and have recommended them dozens of times.

While I have a couple GGA, I’ve never cooked on one but in my mind it will suit a special case use IF it’s a capable cooker.

We’re boaters and I don’t want to bring charcoal on our relatively small 18 foot Robalo center console.

When we’re taking it to the beach, paled with coolers and beach chairs it gets tight.

So taking the more compact GGA in theory would fit the Bill (once again I come back to the “IF it’s an adequate cooker for burgers dogs and marinated chicken)

So in your estimation, if a Baby Q is a 10 on a compact grilling solution, where would you rate a GGA or would you not consider it a worthy option at all?

I took a GGA on a month long trip and use it occasionally at home just for kicks.  Good cooker, BUT, it has always been uneven with the flame/heat.  The end of the burner is always hotter than where the propane enters the burner.  IDK if my experience is unique or common.  I use a 20 lb propane tank, not the small propane bottles for mine. 

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 02:46:23 AM »
@Foster Dahlet good to know.  I don't get perfectly even heat out of the Baby Q but still think it's a great grill as far as build quality and design. As far as the GGA goes, I'm not sure if it's a huge deal when you take into account the weight, compactness and portability for it's case use (on a smallish boat heading out to the beach with a bunch of other stuff we tend to lug out there).

You'd be moving the meat around a bit when your flipping it anyway I guess so you could move the lesser cooked meats to the hotter spots and rotate them around.  I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back my findings.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 02:48:34 AM by captjoe06 »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 03:08:08 AM »
@Foster Dahlet good to know.  I don't get perfectly even heat out of the Baby Q but still think it's a great grill as far as build quality and design. As far as the GGA goes, I'm not sure if it's a huge deal when you take into account the weight, compactness and portability for it's case use (on a smallish boat heading out to the beach with a bunch of other stuff we tend to lug out there).

You'd be moving the meat around a bit when your flipping it anyway I guess so you could move the lesser cooked meats to the hotter spots and rotate them around.  I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back my findings.
With a good bourbon and a fine cigar the GGA should exceed your expectations
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

BigEasy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »
I have both as well. I prefer the Q but the GGA sees a lot of use on work road trips. It’s pretty capable but it does struggle in windy conditions.