Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hello from Connecticut  (Read 248 times)

Farace

• Smokey Joe
Hello from Connecticut
« on: May 17, 2021, 09:34:47 AM »
Hi, I stumbled across this site while Googling and thought I’d join in. I got a Simpsons model Weber grill as a wedding gift when I got married in 2000. I no longer have the wife, but I still have the grill.  :)

We were married late in the summer and never actually opened the box until the following spring, at which time I found that the kettle and lid had a couple of chips in it. I called Weber, expecting an argument, but the customer service rep just asked for the date code on the vent, and then told me they’d send out replacement parts right away. I was expecting to have to send back the damaged parts, but she told me no, if I could use them to just keep them. Replacement kettle and lid arrived shortly thereafter, along with a copy of the free guide they were giving out at the time on how to grill pizza. I’ve heard differently more recently, but I was very happy with Weber customer service (my parents got good service, too, when Weber sent them a new igniter for their gas grill for free.)

Fast forward 21 years and believe it or not, I have never gotten around to installing the replacement kettle and lid—they’re still in the original shipping cartons out in the garage loft. The original damaged parts are much worse for wear and have acquired a few more chips in the finish. I’ve decided that I’m going to look around for an otherwise trashed Weber that has good legs, ash can, sweeper, and other parts and try to put together a second grill with the replacement parts. Having acquired more extended family since my partner has been here, it has become clear that there are times it would be useful to have two grills going, especially when our son-in-law, who is Creole from New Orleans, comes by and starts in on his Cajun cooking. (I’m actually vegetarian, but man, I can still smell-feed!)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hello from Connecticut
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 09:55:14 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama!  Thanks for sharing your story and background.  Just want to start by saying if that is a NIB 22" Simpsons model you have - (kettle and lid can be rebuilt with new parts from Weber) you may have something worth a lot of money.  Others here may have an actual figure to throw out there.  Might want to get that checked out before throwing a ton of burgers on it.  My $.02.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, we have a lot of fun here, sharing cooking pictures and pictures of our collections and finds.  Hope to see some of your cooks soon!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:16:21 AM by bamakettles »

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 10:50:54 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama!  Thanks for sharing your story and background.  Just want to start by saying if that is a NIB 22" Simpsons model you have - (kettle and lid can be rebuilt with new parts from Weber) you may have something worth a lot of money.  Others here may have an actual figure to throw out there.  Might want to get that checked out before throwing a ton of burgers on it.  My $.02.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, we have a lot of fun here, sharing cooking pictures and pictures of our collections and finds.  Hope to see some of your cooks soon!

Oh, that sounds interesting. I have no particular attachment to The Simpsons and can't say I'm really a collector, so if the NIB parts might attract enough cash to buy one (or more?) complete grills, I'm all ears! I do love the rainbow of available colors, but I have to say I'm mostly into the use of the grill. I do love Webers, but not particularly attached to the Simpsons model, so if that could be parlayed into useful grilling alternatives, that sounds great!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 10:51:40 AM »
Welcome from Doraville, Ga. you certainly have a sought after grill
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 02:30:46 PM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 08:19:24 AM »
How can I find out what would be a fair price if I were to sell the NIB Simpsons kettle and lid? I tried looking at completed eBay auctions, but there were none for just the parts. There was a complete new grill for over $600, which shocked me. :)

And now it turns out that I’m going this evening to pick up a 3rd generation Performer in brick red a couple of towns away. I’m looking forward not only to using it myself, but to watching our son-in-law performing his Cajun/Creole magic on there. He’s going to be thrilled having the work table right there. We are having a party this weekend (with appropriate Covid precautions), and both grills will be going.

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 03:04:06 PM »
Here she is. DE date code. My partner seems more sure than I am that it’s brick red. There’s some red to it, but I’m wondering if it’s brown. I’ll look again when there’s better sunlight tomorrow.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 04:07:10 PM »
Brick red or crimson, tough to tell

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 05:10:51 PM »
Here she is. DE date code. My partner seems more sure than I am that it’s brick red. There’s some red to it, but I’m wondering if it’s brown. I’ll look again when there’s better sunlight tomorrow.
Based on the DE code I am pretty sure it is Brick Red.  Also, that color had a brown tint to it, if memory serves.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;