Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First firing up a Smokey Joe, how much lump should I be using?  (Read 264 times)

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
Hi everyone, I’m fixing to do my first small cook on a small grill, the Smokey Joe.

Truthfully I’ve never even seen one being cooked on, so I don’t have a clue as to how much fuel I would need. I have lump in the garage and typically use a chimney to start. I’m cooking sausages, so mid level heat? So 350 at least, but it’s not like I’m searing a steak so that heat should suffice. If you’ve got some experience I’d appreciate some tips.

Thank you

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First firing up a Smokey Joe, how much lump should I be using?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 06:20:50 AM »
Hi everyone, I’m fixing to do my first small cook on a small grill, the Smokey Joe.

Truthfully I’ve never even seen one being cooked on, so I don’t have a clue as to how much fuel I would need. I have lump in the garage and typically use a chimney to start. I’m cooking sausages, so mid level heat? So 350 at least, but it’s not like I’m searing a steak so that heat should suffice. If you’ve got some experience I’d appreciate some tips.

Thank you
With sausages i want a little lower temp so as not to crack the casings, in the Sj the charcoal is pretty close to the cook grate so not much coal needed IMHO, you may want to try and have a small cool area in case you need to move off heat
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First firing up a Smokey Joe, how much lump should I be using?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 06:32:05 AM »

Thank you
With sausages i want a little lower temp so as not to crack the casings, in the Sj the charcoal is pretty close to the cook grate so not much coal needed IMHO, you may want to try and have a small cool area in case you need to move off heat

Good advice. However I’ve never given it much thought and fill those little son of a biscuits all the way up And burn everything LOL. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:33:52 AM by HoosierKettle »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 06:46:13 AM »
I go pretty light - just a single layer after they’re lit, but I only use briquettes in a SJ.  Lump may get a little hot.  Nice thing is you can control the temp with vents just like the big-uns.  Here’s an example or two from our last beach trip…..they make some of the best burgers!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 06:50:48 AM »

Thank you

Good advice. However I’ve never given it much thought and fill those little son of a biscuits all the way up And burn everything LOL. 

I don't always burn things but when I do my wife is watching
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »

Thank you

Alright just what I was looking forward to hearing, I was a bit concerned with the casing cracking, I hate when cheese oozes out and leaves a dry link.

Thanks for your reply

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 09:09:29 AM »

Thank you

Hey that was going to be me in a few hours had I not come here, glad to see great minds think alike.

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 09:13:11 AM »
I go pretty light - just a single layer after they’re lit, but I only use briquettes in a SJ.  Lump may get a little hot.  Nice thing is you can control the temp with vents just like the big-uns.  Here’s an example or two from our last beach trip…..they make some of the best burgers!

I was really back and forth in going to get more fuel, briquettes because I am so used to using it in my wsm and kettles, but I’m in Ontario where they’re only selling essentials. I may have to make an order online, but I’m cooking in an hour so I might have to use less lump and see how it goes. Thank you for your reply and awesome pictures, I’m definitely going to do burgers this weekend now.

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:15:37 AM »

Thank you

Oh I’ve disappointed many people by burning my food after they’ve waited for so long, makes for a awkward rest of the evening.

Hollando

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »

Thank you
Single layer, fill up unlit, then throw in firestarter. I’d take some out then to leave some room for a cool area.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 04:18:52 PM »

Thank you

Oh I’ve disappointed many people by burning my food after they’ve waited for so long, makes for a awkward rest of the evening.
That's what beer is for!

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 05:50:53 AM »

Thank you
Single layer, fill up unlit, then throw in firestarter. I’d take some out then to leave some room for a cool area.

Sounds good, this time I didn’t have a cool-zone, but will definitely give it a shot next time. Also looks like we’re neighbours, I’m from the Niagara region. Thanks for the tip.