Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need your prep advice for smoking a pork butt.  (Read 352 times)

Thundermtn

• Smokey Joe
Need your prep advice for smoking a pork butt.
« on: April 19, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »
Going to smoke another pork butt Friday night. My first one turned out pretty good, butt, it seemed a little short on flavor once it was pulled. The smoke was long enough and right, do I need to inject it or soak it ahead of time? I only let it rest for an hour with rub before going on the 26"

Any tips or trick would be much appreciated! Thanks

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:06:17 PM »
I just did one Monday. I think it was the best tasting one I e ever done. Smeared yellow mustard all over it, then used salt lick garlic, and killer hogs the bbq rub. No injection. Used indirect in the middle with a water pan. After 4-4.5 hours I placed in a crock pot inside. After another 3 hours, bone just slid out. Flavor was amazing,

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:09:23 PM by bbqking01 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Need your prep advice for smoking a pork butt.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 05:05:59 AM »
I usually dry brine my pork butts overnight before the cook - or at least for 8-12 hours before the cook.  While the meat is moist:

Salt entire exterior with kosher salt
Wrap in saran wrap and put in the fridge for 8-12 hours
Coat with yellow mustard followed by your favorite rub - I like the salt free rubs from SNS grills - If your rub has high salt content, go sparingly as you've already salted.  Consider making your own rub out of your fav seasonings.
Smoke at 250F to an IT of 205F - Wrap at the stall for a juicier product, no wrap for longer cook and more bark
Rest wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for two hours minimum

Pull and enjoy!  Good luck on Friday....

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 05:18:25 AM »
I add a homemade finishing sauce once it’s pulled. Way easier to add flavor then. It might be cheating but nobody knows the difference.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 05:19:16 AM »
I add a homemade finishing sauce once it’s pulled. Way easier to add flavor then. It might be cheating but nobody knows the difference.

it's not cheating it's finesse !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 06:06:47 AM »

it's not cheating it's finesse !!

My buddy always gets mad when our friends say they like my pulled pork better. He always calls me a cheater lol.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »
I also save the broth from wrapping and separate and discard fat and add broth back as needed.

This is especially important for parties with lots of people and heavy drinking when your holding the pork warm in a vessel for hours and people are eating all the way from 7-midnight.

Or so I’ve heard.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:29:57 AM by HoosierKettle »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
I also save the broth from wrapping and separate and discard fat and add broth back as needed.

This is especially important for parties with lots of people and heavy drinking when your holding the pork warm in a vessel for hours and people are eating all the way from 7-midnight.

Or so I’ve heard.

the always important midnite snack after having 1 to mini martunis
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 09:27:29 AM »
Plain and simple... Who gives a crap!!! When it tastes good on the plate, and people are happy, that's all that matters.

Thundermtn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 02:33:39 PM »
Tell me more about this finishing sauce. Would broth and rub cover the boost it needs?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 02:55:15 PM »
Tell me more about this finishing sauce. Would broth and rub cover the boost it needs?

This is the one I use. I usually only add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup per butt.

I usually go with finishing sauce and a sprinkle of rub only and add broth back as needed for moisture but this thread has me wondering if I should mix the two [emoji848]

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.49892/

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:57:10 PM by HoosierKettle »

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 03:01:29 PM »
We mix up some of the pork au jus from the wrap with some vinegar bbq sauce. Maybe 1/4-1/2 cup and a few shakes of bbq rub. Toss and mix . Way easier and less time consuming than trying to brine or inject.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »

This is the one I use. I usually only add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup per butt.

I usually go with finishing sauce and a sprinkle of rub only and add broth back as needed for moisture but this thread has me wondering if I should mix the two [emoji848]

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.49892/

I haven't used Soflaqers finishing sauce in a very long time. I prefer saving the juices from the pork and stirring that into the pulled pork.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:55:41 PM by SMOKE FREAK »

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 04:28:58 AM »
Trimming is where a good butt flavor begins. Gotta take most of the fat away. Liberal rub use, with or without mustard smear is the second step. That sets the stage for your bark. Since most of the fat has been removed from the butt, the bark can be left in the final product to marry up with the sauce of your choosing. The sauce softens the bark and just creates a flavor explosion. My two cents!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app