Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber acquires June  (Read 2756 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Weber acquires June
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 03:25:49 PM »
A toaster oven company?

Make bug zappers and bird feeders great again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber acquires June
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:28:24 PM »
IKR....but apparently they partnered on the Weber iGrill and thought the two co's fit well together.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »
Hope this isn't the beginning of the end....

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 05:23:07 PM »
It makes sense.  They need a partner with tech expertise and many consumers want it, especially on the pellet side.   I still cannot imagine adjusting my grill via my iPhone.  I prefer daisy wheels!

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »
This is a smart move on Weber’s part. I think they will integrate some more smart features into their next gen Smokefire series thanks to this acquisition. And who knows maybe we’ll even get some interesting accessories for our charcoal grills too?!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 06:47:19 PM »
It makes sense.  They need a partner with tech expertise and many consumers want it, especially on the pellet side.   I still cannot imagine adjusting my grill via my iPhone.  I prefer daisy wheels!

I never cooked on a daisy wheel...but I wonder if they are better at dialing in temps than one touch.  I love convenience of one touch ash sweeps, but when they catch a piece of charcoal and bend upwards, it drives me nuts

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:03:05 PM »
this is pretty exciting!!

air fryer tech is BOOMING and will likely take over the kitchen appliance space within the next 5-10 years

I'd LOVE to see a Weber bring convection technology to the outdoor cooking scene

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 02:33:05 AM »
I like it. I want Weber to continue to be successful so they don't mind releasing more colored charcoal grills. An outdoor Weber convection oven would be a fun addition to the outdoor kitchen!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JonesBBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 05:26:53 AM »
June created the operating system for the SmokeFire. Should be interesting to see what else they can work together on.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 06:13:41 AM »
Those are some jacked up prices on their ovens, I'm sure it's worth it tho. "Them are @ Meatpolice prices right there! That guy doesn't lowball!" I sure hope they target the European market first on this one, and in return release

the Glen Blue 22.5" Master Touch in the U.S. and of course, all before the month of June!

https://juneoven.com/pages/smart-oven

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 06:37:50 AM »
No thanks. I don’t need circuit boards on my appliances. Always the first thing to fail.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 07:01:28 AM »
Those are some jacked up prices on their ovens, I'm sure it's worth it tho. "Them are @ Meatpolice prices right there! That guy doesn't lowball!" I sure hope they target the European market first on this one, and in return release

the Glen Blue 22.5" Master Touch in the U.S. and of course, all before the month of June!

https://juneoven.com/pages/smart-oven
Holy crap!   A $999 toaster oven.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 11:17:09 PM »
I wouldn’t read too much into this beyond a typical aqui-hire of a distressed startup. June raised $22.5M series A funding in 2016 and haven’t sold anything tangible in the last 5 years. Investors were probably looking to recoup as much $ as possible before the company goes under. Also, the SmokeFire electronics/software release was a big black eye for June. Hopefully their future smart appliance development goes smoother than the SmokeFire.

With that said, I think a Ninja Foodie-like appliance could be an adjacent cooking market to target but I think Weber would get hammered in that market by the likes of Whirlpool/KA, Breville, and Electrolux. Maybe BDT wants to sell Weber in the next few years and smart devices makes it look more attractive to acquirers. Weber also recently take on a large loan of $1.25B: https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/weber-stephen-products-wraps-1-25b-tlb-tight-to-talk-terms-60830019

“Proceeds will be used to refinance existing debt, to enhance general liquidity by adding approximately $200 million of excess cash to the balance sheet to support ongoing working capital needs and to
raise $350 million in excess funds either to consummate identified potential strategic acquisitions or, if not utilized within six months of closing, to pay a distribution to shareholders.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 01:29:34 PM »
It sure would be cool if Weber acquires January (or what's left of it), for the U.S. release of the Glen Blue 22.5" Master Touch!