Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Genesis 4000 Questions - I love mine but am no expert...  (Read 2628 times)

convivialist

• Happy Cooker
Weber Genesis 4000 Questions - I love mine but am no expert...
« on: January 02, 2021, 09:54:33 AM »
I am a brand new member and hope this is the correct place to ask my Genesis 4000 question. My Weber Genesis 4000 has a green lid (special edition perhaps?). The burners light with one click and it heats fast. All of the wood slats are original except for the slats on the left side top shelf and on the hood handle. I have the original wood handle and slats for the handle and left side top shelf, but they are starting to split so I added the composite gray handle and slats that I happened to have laying around. Since I am no expert, here are my novice questions:
1. I would value your suggestions for any changes/upgrades that you feel would be nice and that would not diminish the grill's value to collectors.
2. The right hand slide clip works but has broken. The left hand slide bar guides are easy to find, but I have not found one for the right side on these genesis 4000s.
3. What are your thoughts about looking for the Genesis 5000 glass doors which I could fit onto this unit? Would it harm the value to add the 5000 doors onto a 4000? I do like that clean look with doors, but you all know more than me about what might work best.
Thank you in advance for any help you offer!
I will try to add pictures with my phone later. The ones taken with my Nikon are too large for even one to load.
Best,
Bruce
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:47:07 AM by convivialist »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Genesis 4000 Questions - I love mine but am no expert...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 10:52:16 AM »
If it were mine I would replace the wood with new stuff.  I'm not sure what you are referring to about the side clip?   I'm not sure about the glass doors and how to fit them or how hard it is to find them in the first place.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 04:50:40 AM »
That’s a great grill!
Redoing the wood isn’t too hard, we’ve also got a member here who is a real artist with that stuff.
Not sure about the clips either? Like the ones to hold up the side shelves?
I’m working on one right now, might have some parts if you need

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 05:03:06 AM »
I think the clips the OP is referring to are the rods/brackets that hold up the flip up shelves.
I think I would just clean it up and refinish or replace the wood. That’s a great grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 07:49:18 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the value of keeping it original. It's been my experience that the only people that want it all original are the ones that would rebuild one on their own. Otherwise good looking and functions well will bring the same $$ with new or refinished wood and so on. If you are keeping it for yourself make it exactly your way it's the best way!

Take some pics of the parts you need and I am sure the club can find them for you.

Keep us updated

Sent from my SM-N986U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 10:48:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing your grill story and resto questions with us. 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 10:57:33 AM »
My red 1000 is a work horse. I keep a good cover on her, keep the burners, flavorizer bars, and grates clean and in working order. I lube the burner valve controls.  Although there's some spot rust on places I don't sweat it. I think the weathered warrior look is fitting for these 20 year plus old grills. That's just me. I've seen some on the WKC here just take it to the nth degree and I totally respect that too. Boils down to what you're happy with. Those glass doors are so cool looking. If I were after those I'd look for a grill that has them already, and add that grill to the collection! Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app