Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Texas brisket  (Read 2752 times)

dirtydog

• Happy Cooker
Texas brisket
« on: December 24, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
Hey all. So I’ve done 4 part briskets.  Usually about 5-6 pds. 
Last three were great.  Loved it. 
But I want to hear from someone in Texas and what rub and wood is used to smoke.  Thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
Re: Texas brisket
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »
salt and pepper- post oak for smoke

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 01:34:05 PM »
Rudy’s rub applied liberally on an untrimmed full packer.  Post (white) oak and a little mesquite once the fire is hot.  Second place: good old Montreal steak seasoning and same wood.  Plain S&P is probably a myth...  I have eaten tons of TX BBQ and I am positive that most every place is doing more than that, they just don’t fess up to it.

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
Born and Raised in the Texas hill country- ive eaten two tons and cooked less than that but S&P ain’t no myth.   kinda like chili with NO beans - otherwise it ain’t Texas.

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 05:03:15 PM »
Yeah me too.  It’s a myth that everyone does it - they don’t. I have watched it with my own eyes being prepared with various concoctions. Hinze’s BBQ used SPG and red pepper for example.

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »
i know everybody does all kinda “stuff” - but Louie Mueller-Aaron Franklin- and many others, who, like it or not, personify TX BBQ - do it wit S&P and post oak. 

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 07:07:11 PM »
im talkin central Texas cuz you also have West Texas BBQ which is smoked with mesquite and is usually cooked over open flame and there’s South Texas BBQ or barbacoa and East Texas BBQ which is normally smoked with hickory until its falling of the bone [emoji491]

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 10:46:29 PM »
Last week I had Kreuz BBQ and picked up some Rudy's for the extended family from the New Braunfels location. Kreuz may be an S&P only place as they are part of the "old school," and the bbq was pretty basic.  It was my first pilgrimage there and wasn't that impressed to be honest, even the famous sausage was just okay nothing to write home about.  The two sauces on the table were pretty much terrible.   There was more than a few cords of wood in their lot and all I saw was oak, didn't see any mesquite or pecan in the stacks. 

Rudy's uses that same rub they sell in the store on the brisket.  Don't know everything that's in the rub but for sure it's salt, coarse pepper, paprika and red pepper to start. I believe there's some garlic and other stuff as well but they don't get too specific on the label.  I really like Rudy's rub and keep a good stock of it on hand.  We like it on pulled pork more than on brisket since it has a good bit of heat and that nice red color.  Makes a good seasoning on scrambled eggs too.  good stuff.

We used to get good BBQ at Riley's in Blanco but they went out of business a while ago.  I know for a fact he was seasoning his brisket with nothing but generic Montreal steak and cooked with oak/mesquite blend in his pits.  For a small town joint, it was pretty bangin' bbq.  There's another place in the same location but I haven't tried it yet.

Our families have Czech, German and Tejano ancestry so Texas cuisine is one of our go-tos. Don't even get me started on Kolaches from West...  Have eaten my body weight in those a couple times over.

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 06:47:26 AM »
well we can definitely come together on the Kolaches from West - God Bless Texas 🤠

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 07:01:04 AM »
Ive had Coopers - Rudys - Blacks - Salt Lick - Opies - Kreuz - Smittys - Luling City mkt. - southside market - and many many others but Louie Mueller in Taylor was the only one that made me realize that putting sauce on this is not necessary and would be sinful to do so. I begged to see the pits and was given a tour and post oak was all they used and a bit more pepper than salt is all that went on. So far, even though im getting up there, I have not stopped looking and tasting - it has been the best

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 07:04:09 AM »
of course im talkin brisket- best sausage i ever had was in Weimer - but the race continues......

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 07:38:23 AM »
One thing for sure; it's harder to find bad TX BBQ than good!  I will even admit to having lunch at, gulp, Bill Miller's every once in a blue moon...

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 09:17:35 AM »
can’t say I ain’t guilty as well my friend.  [emoji6]  Have a Happy New Year !!

dirtydog

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »
Thanks for the replys all.  Maybe I’ll try the Montreal steak.   But the salt and peeper has been great. 
Gonna probably try one this week.   But it’s pretty cold out up here in Canada.  So I’ll have to adjust.
Finally found a good KC rub and sauce I can make for the ribs.  Trying to make beef jerky today.   Hope it works.   Thanks again all.  Happy holidays. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »
I’d love to make it to Texas someday and try the real thing. The “Texas style” bbq sauces and rubs I’ve tried in the stores, I don’t care for at all. I use kosher salt and restaurant grind pepper but I also like adding a little cayenne once in awhile. I’m from Indiana so the primary wood used in these parts is good old hickory.