Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey Brine Temp  (Read 850 times)

Bearded

• WKC Brave
Turkey Brine Temp
« on: November 14, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
Another Turkey Question:

How do you keep your turkey cold while brining? I don't have room in the fridge and don't think my coolers deep enough for the brine bucket.

Also, I was planning to inject it after the brine and rub it down.

Advice?

Retired@55

• Smokey Joe
Re: Turkey Brine Temp
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:51:33 AM »
I use large brine bags for the turkey and liquid and then place that in cooler with ice. My brining cooler isn’t very large either, but it can easily hold a turkey in a brine bag. You can get the bags for $10-$15/pair on Amazon. I’m injecting for the first time this year and am followed the same plan as you are.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 03:41:24 PM »
Most store bought turkeys are enhanced and really don't benefit much from brining. It might affect the flavor some depending on what is in your brine. That's my opinion. Others may see it differently.

Retired@55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »
Most store bought turkeys are enhanced and really don't benefit much from brining. It might affect the flavor some depending on what is in your brine. That's my opinion. Others may see it differently.

Exactly why I get a fresh turkey from a local butcher. I also just saw another approach using a dry brine: deconstructed turkey lets you put the different parts where you have space in the fridge. That assumes you’re not worried about presentation of a whole turkey. I suppose you could also use this method with a wet brine.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »
Another Turkey Question:

How do you keep your turkey cold while brining? I don't have room in the fridge and don't think my coolers deep enough for the brine bucket.

Also, I was planning to inject it after the brine and rub it down.

Advice?
For Turkey, before I got a 2nd fridge,  I used large Briner bucket and placed it in a cooler, packed ice around it, then took another cooler, removed the lid, flipped it, and placed it over the cooler with the briner bucket.

Now I just put Briner in the second fridge.  But the cooler method worked for many Thanksgivings.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;