Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Learning so much  (Read 3641 times)

baguns

• Happy Cooker
Learning so much
« on: November 09, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »
Hi Everyone - been grilling (not bbq-ing) for > 30 years.  Love to cook, but more recently got into bbq and outdoor cooking in general (like the rest of America during this coronavirus lock down).

I've cooked primarily on gas grills all my life, had some experiences with charcoal with more the open drum style cookers.  Even bought that newspaper grill to see how that worked (remember those?  And it really sucked).

I didn't get my first kettle until this year - and boy did I get in big - the 26" Glen Blue.  My first Weber grill was the Spirit II gas grill that I got last year in 2019.  Previous to that, I had used a gas grill from Home Depot (don't remember the brand at all) and a CharGriller charcoal grill with side smoke box (I don't have those grills anymore).

The University of Youtube has been a great resource of learning how to utilize my kettle, mods, etc. 

I've also got the Weber Go Anywhere charcoal grill, Weber Q1200 gas grill, and the newest addition is the Jumbo Joe.  These 3 grills I got mainly for camping/RV-ing which I really enjoy.

I've come to appreciate the history of Weber and its cultural impact on Americana.  Look forward to learning more about these kettles and sharing the passion of outdoor cooking.

I would love to get a yellow or red vintage kettle one day.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Learning so much
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 01:16:28 PM »
Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama!  You've got a nice rotation there and kudos to your for jumping in to kettle ownership with that beautiful Glen Blue.  It is really neat to learn about the history and appreciate the Webers of old.  Have fun!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 01:26:42 PM »
Hello and welcome from Plainfield Indiana!   I like your riser grate on the 26.  Well done! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 01:36:19 PM »
Welcome from greenwood Indiana. Where are you from?  I like the beer selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 01:40:41 PM »
Welcome from Doraville Ga love your setup

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

baguns

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »
Hello and welcome from Plainfield Indiana!   I like your riser grate on the 26.  Well done! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I've been trying to do a very poor man's santa maria style, lol.  Low and slow over direct heat.  I put fire bricks in the base of the kettle and burned down some oak and hickory to get some embers.  That took a long time, didn't yield enough embers, so I added a chimney of lump to help it along.  The chicken and pork belly were on thee for almost 3 hours with the upper grate temp around 200.  The chicken got up to around 140-150 internal.  People were getting hungry so I just finished off the chicken in the gas grill (I know, I know).  That chicken breast was the juiciest I ever had.  I did dry brine the chicken overnight, which might have been a reason why it was so tender.  I saw a youtube channel later talking about smoking chicken low for the first few hours and finishing off on higher heat to crisp the skin, but that also results in super juicy chicken.  In any case, I really do like the slow direct method for chicken and definitely plan on doing more cooks with this set-up.

baguns

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 02:02:43 PM »
Welcome from greenwood Indiana. Where are you from?  I like the beer selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I'm in Rowland Heights, CA (Los Angeles).  BBQ champ Henry Soo lives in the next city over in Diamond Bar.  Never met him, but hope to attend one of his bbq classes when things get back to normal.  I think he has those classes literally in his backyard.

Beer was from my local Costco, October edition.  The Pumpkin ale was pretty tasty.

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »
Welcome to the addiction! Joe in San Diego