Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Leg quarters on the SnS  (Read 1154 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Leg quarters on the SnS
« on: November 02, 2020, 04:34:13 PM »
Chicken has been my nemesis since I first started grilling either dry or overdone.  I found a cookbook from Americas test kitchen, along with recipes they also have tips and hints to try, one was to put your seasonings on then hit it with cooking spray, one to deal in the seasonings and two to help oil the grates, so far it works pretty good. The chicken was from a butcher shop close by, it turned out nice and juicy and it had a good flavor. By far my best chicken to date, a few tweaks and changes to be done but i have improved!

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

P0234

• Smokey Joe
Re: Leg quarters on the SnS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »
Nice.  I love leg quarters, probably the cheapest protein there is and so tasty. What temp did you cook at and what did you finish at?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
Nice.  I love leg quarters, probably the cheapest protein there is and so tasty. What temp did you cook at and what did you finish at?
Dome temp was 400 or so no idea on grate temp, I used a small chimney full of lit into the basket top and bottom wide open.  I cooked them to 165

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:53:38 AM »
good looking chicken, my favorite cut of chicken to cook, with a roti chicken a close second
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 05:11:16 AM »
Dome temp was 400 or so no idea on grate temp, I used a small chimney full of lit into the basket top and bottom wide open.  I cooked them to 165

If dome was 400, grate was probably around 350ish, a great temp for leg quarters.  I usually take mine up a little higher as I like how the skin gets crispy.  With the kettle it stays moist even at really high internal temps.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 05:33:29 AM »
Looks good!  I usually cook dark meat to around 180ish. It doesn’t dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 05:50:21 AM »
@P0234 one of my adjustments is going a little bit hotter,I'm still learning how to use the SnS.
@HoosierKettle I will try that I was afraid of the dark meat drying out.

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 05:54:24 AM »
If it makes you feel any better, I cook my thighs to 200, I love how the skin gets almost like a chip.  They aren't even close to dry at that temp.  Quarters I do a bit less as the drumstick skin pulls away too much at that temp.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 05:58:12 AM »
If it makes you feel any better, I cook my thighs to 200, I love how the skin gets almost like a chip.  They aren't even close to dry at that temp.  Quarters I do a bit less as the drumstick skin pulls away too much at that temp.
Sounds like a plan! Thanks!

Jrzy.Hillbilly

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 08:14:06 AM »
Nice looking cook. Leg quarters are one of my favs!