Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wok Works  (Read 2875 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Wok Works
« on: June 29, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
This is one of the things I picked up at our meetup. I like stir fry so I was an easy mark when Brian preferred to sell it rather than pack it up and take it home. Now that we're back from vacation, I have time to fool with ome of the things I got. Today I picked up a bunch of suitable vegetables and some chicken and started slicing. After firing up a chimney full of lump, I dumped it in the center of the kettle and put the wok in place to preheat.

Here it is with the first few components in.

Everything in and ready to serve.

Evaluation: I need to do more to concentrate heat in the middle than just pile the charcoal in the middle. It seemed like the wok was hotter up on the sides than in the middle and I don't think that's the way it is supposed to be. Nevertheless, I was happy with the results and the two of us nearly finished what I prepared.

Edit: SWMBO snapped a pic of me hard at work.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:38:28 PM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Wok Works
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 06:50:24 PM »
That's looking good hank! I wonder if making a square out of firebrick directly under the wok would help any? Or possibly something under say two baskets of coals to raise them closer to the center of the wok. That's an interesting shape to try and heat, I'm sure you'll get it down soon!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Wok Works
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »
Excellent job Hank!

Craig

• WKC Mod
Wok Works
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »
Nice job! Looks great!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:58:10 AM »
That's looking good hank! I wonder if making a square out of firebrick directly under the wok would help any? Or possibly something under say two baskets of coals to raise them closer to the center of the wok. That's an interesting shape to try and heat, I'm sure you'll get it down soon!
I could try fire brick as I have some. I'm not sure I need to raise the charcoal. It was not obvious just looking at the wok, but set it on a flat surface and you can see that the middle is about 2" deeper than the rim on which it sits. I downloaded the manual from the Weber site and they recommend a pyramid of charcoal with the wok actually touching the charcoal in the middle.
kettles, smokers...

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Wok Works
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »
Now a that actually makes sense with that setup. I know in the restaurants they get those woks wicked hot. I'm going to assume these need to be seasoned similar to a cast iron pan? My favorite tip for frying rice I got from a chef friend is: using rice that was made the day before and start with it cold. Then let the rice hit the pan and stay for  10-15 seconds(depending on heat if it allows) stir let sit again. It helps form that nice brown crust on the rice.

Damn now I want a wok!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
Nice cookin' Hank! Do you find the access limited by the lid?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
Do you find the access limited by the lid?
It looks awkward but I really didn't notice. I suppose I've gotten used to it.
kettles, smokers...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »
Looks great Hank!!
I love using the wok, its great having all your ingredients prepped and ready to go
It's a bit more interactive than just throwing on some meat
How was the cleanup on the wok, post cook?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »
I'm going to assume these need to be seasoned similar to a cast iron pan?
I suppose it could be, but since it is SS I didn't.

How was the cleanup on the wok, post cook?
It doubles in size when you try to fit it in a sink.  :o I had to wash it in the laundry tub. The middle cleaned up pretty well but the parts higher up where the stuff was cooked on were pretty tough. I got what would come off easily and the rest will be left til it builds up enough to warrant some oven cleaner. I suppose it's like the seasoning in a CI pan. Maybe I should try seasoning it.
kettles, smokers...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 01:55:39 PM »
Does the manual say anything about seasoning it?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »
Does the manual say anything about seasoning it?
Nope. Just use hot soapy water to clean it after use.
kettles, smokers...