Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aristocrat grate riser mod help  (Read 4011 times)

SCKettleBBQ

• Happy Cooker
Aristocrat grate riser mod help
« on: October 28, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »
Greetings Kettle Nation,
I have a '68 Aristocrat that I need to replace the cooking grate (24.75").  Instead of paying $70 for a new nickel one, I'm thinking about springing the $90 for the stainless steel one at 25.4".  Really didn't want to pay $160 for an aftermarket one. Has anyone DIY'd a riser to attach to the 4 tabs to raise the grate up for a proper fit?  I watched a cooking video recently where the guy showed his risers and I thought I would bounce back at a later date to investigate, but now I can't find the damn thing. Has anyone done this or know where to direct me?
Thanks in advance.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Aristocrat grate riser mod help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »
Go to the killagrilla website.  They make heavy duty 304 stainless replacement grates for vintage 26.   The bars are 1/4 inch diameter.   Worth every penny. 

Sorry.  Just re read.  Price went up since I bought mine last year. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:37:12 PM by michaelmilitello »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Aristocrat grate riser mod help
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »
I recall someone made a ring from expanded metal to sit on the existing tabs to accommodate the newer, larger-diameter grate. 

The grate in your pic looks ok to me. 

SCKettleBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »
My other thought was if I can raise the grate up then an SnS XL would fit since they no longer offer the shorter version.  I'm sure it can be done, just gotta think a little more on it.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 07:06:36 PM »
I know the onlyfire roti/pizza/stacker combo comes with a kind of riser that sits on top of the grate straps.  Maybe you can find a way to buy a set on the cheap or replicate them.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

SCKettleBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 07:57:04 AM »
I got the inspiration from someone else on the site and used expanded metal and it raises the 26” grate up near the edge of the bowl. Very lightweight

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

SCKettleBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »
Thanks for the pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club