Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need some rub advise....  (Read 3565 times)

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
Need some rub advise....
« on: September 24, 2020, 09:11:11 AM »

Ok folks.. first off how is everyone doing? I haven’t made a post in awhile . Life of course . Work, three kids . You all get the picture . Anywho..... for Sunday football we all gather at my neighbors house watch football and pig out . This weekend is going to be a little different . He’s a Vikings fan and I am a titans fan soooo Neighbor and I are going to smoke a brisket . I have only done a couple in my life . And they were very good . My question is to you all, what is a good rub for this bad boy that’s gonna wow the crowd ?  It does not have to be crazy but what has worked out good for some of you ?

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need some rub advise....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:17:26 AM »
Equal parts. Kosher Salt , 16 mesh pepper and 25%garlic powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
Boring but kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper is what I like best. I let the hickory smoke and beef flavor shine through.  Sometimes a pinch of cayenne.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »
^ This^

BTW 16 mesh pepper is a bit coarser than regular table pepper.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 09:22:04 AM »
Boring??? Ask Aaron Franklin
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 09:40:10 AM »
Equal parts kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

I grind whole black peppercorns in a 2.5 ounce mini coffee grinder. After five or six pulses, ground pepper is screened thru a course stainless steel strainer. Large and whole peppercorns are reground until they pass thru SS strainer.

Pepper is ground minutes before it’s applied to brisket.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 10:08:29 AM »
Equal parts kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

I grind whole black peppercorns in a 2.5 ounce mini coffee grinder. After five or six pulses, ground pepper is screened thru a course stainless steel strainer. Large and whole peppercorns are reground until they pass thru SS strainer.

Pepper is ground minutes before it’s applied to brisket.
Me too !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »
This stuff is really good

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 03:59:26 PM »
Look up Franklin brisket on YouTube. I used to use way too many spices. My neighbor gave me some of his salt and pepper on hickory brisket. I asked for his recipe and thought he was joking when he said salt and pepper. He told me to watch the Franklin video. I still didn't believe it until I smoked one myself. My guests usually give me the same reaction, disbelief.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 09:18:35 PM »
Kosher salt and course ground pepper. Don’t use fresh cracked pepper. It will have too much heat. You want some that’s already ground so it’s more mellow. 50/50 is the standard. I like a little more pepper than salt but that’s me.

Cookin-With-Charcoal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »
I use 50-50 kosher salt and 16 mesh black pepper (1/2 cup each) and then add 1/4 cup celery seed to that. Learned the celery seed from Harry Soo. Simple rub, but delicious! Here is the pepper. This can be purchased on Amazon.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Need some rub advise....
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 05:05:12 PM »
Just bought a couple salt lick rubs. I REALLY like them both. Have a nice bold flavor with a little kick at the end. Also purchased a head country rub which is very decent too.

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 08:53:30 AM »
I'm with the rest of the fellas, SPG (salt, pepper, garlic) is delicious all on it's own.  Texas style rub that everyone uses now.
This rub here is one that I occasionally use as a dusting over the SPG rub and it gives it a little kick that my family/friends like.

Bbq on Garth!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ThinBlu42

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 05:27:44 PM »
Every single post above is dead on and I have tried and love them all.

I usually like coarse ground pepper as well. I just use my pepper grinder set on coarse and grind however much fresh I need right onto the brisket. It takes a while, but the fresh ground pepper is worth it.

Also, the celery seed is a very nice touch that adds a rich flavor that I cant describe, but everyone always says the briskit tastes very BEEFY when I use it. Just be careful and don't use too much. It is like sesame seed oil. You can get too much of a good thing.

The only slight variation on top of these is:
I ALWAYS measure salt separately and per pound per hunk of meat. For brisket, shoulders and other solid hunks of meat I use 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound AFTER trimmed.
For ribs and other hunks o meat with bones I lower that amount vs % of bones. For ribs that are almost half bone, I use 1/2 teaspoon salt per 1.5 - 2 pounds of meat leaning toward 1/2 tsp per 1.5 for the meatier back ribs.

I almost never use rubs with salt included or I make my own spice only rubs or just throw spices on as I go. The salt is the one spice that can have a huge effect on your result. Too much or too little have significant flavor and texture/moisture differences in the outcome. I consider salt not only a flavor but a chemical reaction and not just a spice. Ever since I have started measuring salt on every cook the last 4 years or so, I have had MUCH more consistent and balanced results. My neighbors and wife agree.

The other "top secret" of lots of competition and other chefs is MSG. This is an oddly controversial ingredient, but I have done tons of research and have been using it for years and I have done tests with and without it and I can tell you it does make all meats MOUTHWATERING. There is a reason all the Chinese restaurants tasted so good for decades and they still use it in Asia to this day. IT IS GOOD! MSG is found naturally in MANY healthy foods. It's called UMAMI!

I replace half my salt with 1.5 times MSG or as easily found in stores as the brand 'Accent' in the red and white container. So, if I need 2 teaspoons of salt. I actually use 1 teaspoon of salt and 1.5 tsp of Accent.

GAME CHANGER!
It's not GRILLING that makes you old.
It's NOT grilling that makes you old.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 08:46:13 PM »
For grinding larger quantities of pepper I use an old crank style coffee grinder.
I have one for black pepper and one for white.  I'll post some pics when I get the time.